Friday, November 23, 2012

Apricot Cobbler (Page 813)

RECIPE #29
  • Date: Monday, June 25, 2012 -- 9pm
  • Location: East Lansing, MI
  • Kitchen: Our House
  • Book: Gourmet Today
  • Dining Companions: Matty and Adam
  • Recipe Rating: B


I made this back in June, when apricot cobbler was sounding like the perfect summer dessert! I started by pitting and quartering apricots, then tossing them with sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and almond extract. I let the mixture sit for a while to get juicy. Then I whisked together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. I blended in some butter with my fingertips, then stirred in buttermilk to form a dough. I put the fruit in a pie pan and dropped the dough over the fruit. I sprinkled the cobbler with sugar and baked it until the fruit was tender. It is hard to go too wrong within this genre, and as with most fruit cobbler recipes, this was tasty. I thought the biscuit topping came out excellent. The biscuits were flaky, tender, and flavorful. The sugar crust on the biscuits was also a lovely addition. I wasn't as crazy about the filling. It had a good flavor, but it was a bit thin. The dessert would have been better with a thicker, heartier fruit mixture. That said, this was pretty tasty, and a perfect dessert for a summer evening.

The recipe in The Book is similar to this one, although the ratios of ingredients are a bit different.

29 recipes down, 1077 to go!

Wow, I haven't posted in a long, long time. I have no excuse other than to say that this semester has eaten me alive and I have been battling sickness throughout much of it. Thankfully, the semester is almost over. Just two more weeks of classes! I am not sure I have ever been so eager for Winter Break to arrive. Today, though, I am enjoying a small break. Normally at this time on a Friday morning I would be teaching multivariable calculus to a group of still-sleepy students. Instead this morning I am relishing a peaceful day-after-Thanksgiving. I don't have the motivation, nor the patience for Black Friday shopping, so my plans today are simple: spend time with family! (Oh, and do some grading, but I am trying to forget about that for the moment!) We are in Ohio at my in-laws' house, where yesterday we had a lovely Thanksgiving feast with about 20 people. Today the refrigerator is packed with delicious leftovers and I am the first one awake, so the house is quiet, except for the sound of one of our cats meowing. He doesn't particularly like to travel. This afternoon I am sure we will go cut down a Christmas tree, in keeping with our usual day-after-Thanksgiving traditions. And over the next couple days, my special gentleman and I will help my mother-in-law string the tree with lights, ornaments, and long strands of popcorn and cranberries. Inevitably this leads to me laughing so hard I cry as I sort through the adorable but phenomenally ugly Christmas ornaments my special gentleman and his brothers made when they were little. These handmade ornaments have been preserved with love all this time and we place them on the tree every year! Holiday traditions!

Frankly, it's hard to believe that it is already the holiday season. In some sense this semester has dragged on, and things that happened a month ago seem like they are at least 6 months in the past. But on the other hand, November really snuck up on me! I have been traveling on and off for the last few weeks. Indeed I just got back from Texas on Tuesday. Traveling while sick is rough, and has made life extra exhausting. So perhaps because November has been so chaotic, Thanksgiving came out of nowhere. I am trying to be more aware of Christmas, so that it too doesn't blindside me!

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope everyone is having a restful and happy holiday weekend!




No comments: