Monday, December 31, 2012

Cosmopolitan (Page 5)

RECIPE #30
  • Date: Sunday, June 24, 2012 -- 7pm
  • Location: East Lansing, MI
  • Kitchen: Our House
  • Book: Gourmet Today
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B


I made this drink to go with a leisurely summer dinner this past June. I started by filling our cocktail shaker half full with ice. Then I added vodka, Triple Sec, cranberry juice cocktail, and Rose's lime juice and shook it. I strained it into martini glasses and garnished with lemon twists. These Cosmopolitans were only OK. They didn't have as much cranberry flavor as I like in my cosmos. It ended up tasting a little bland to me. That said, I still enjoyed drinking it!

This recipe isn't online.

And just like that, 2012 is drawing to a close. Like any year, this one has had its ups and downs, but reflecting back, it was overall an excellent year. I had a number of professional and personal triumphs this year. Plus, I finished cooking through the Gourmet Cookbook!

This past semester was probably the most grueling of my professional life. I had committed to do a lot of things during the semester. Indeed I did what I often do: committed myself to do so much that there is really no room for leeway. I enjoy my work, and I enjoy being busy, so usually it works out fine. This semester though, I was quite sick for a long time. The health issues on top of what would have been a busy a semester anyway made the last few months of the semester pretty miserable. Usually I aim for excellence in the things that I do, but those last months, I was really aiming only for survival! Well, I survived! The semester is over, and things went just fine. Could my classes have been a little better? Probably. But I think my students learned what they were supposed to, and that's the most important thing. Could I have done a better job with my other professional obligations? Sure. But there were no disasters. It's hard for me to feel like I am not doing my best. It doesn't sit well with me. But I learned an important life lesson this semester: I can only do as much as I can do. And even in a semester when what I could do was less than usual, it all worked out fine. I prioritized work and I managed to do what I needed to. There were some non-work things that I love that I just couldn't do these last few months because I didn't feel well enough or didn't have time: cook, exercise, blog... And that was OK too.

In any event, I am glad it is behind me. I am feeling a lot better now, and I have had a wonderfully relaxing break filled with many, many recuperative naps. And while this semester was physically difficult, it was still a good semester, with a lot of really wonderful moments. It was a good year. I think 2013 is going to be a good year too! I am looking forward to it.

No comments: