Monday, January 21, 2013

Lemony Rice Salad with Peas and Mint (Page 184)

RECIPE # 32
  • Date: Saturday, June 30, 2012 -- 5pm
  • Location: East Lansing, MI
  • Kitchen: Our House
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Cheryl, Thomas, Dan, etc.
  • Recipe Rating: B



Our friend Cheryl invited us to a summer barbecue in June and I made this simple side dish to share. This rice salad consisted of arborio rice and peas, dressed with olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and mint. The salad came out a little bland after following the recipe, so I had to add a bit of extra salt and lemon juice to give it some more flavor. The result was tasty. This dish wasn't terribly exciting, but it did remind me how much I love rice salad. I make a lot of what we call Refrigerator Pasta Salad at home. Recipe: Cook some pasta. Cook whatever vegetables are in the fridge. Make a dressing. Toss. I like Refrigerator Pasta Salad, but this recipe reminded me that I could make Refrigerator Rice Salad too, which would also be good! The evening of Cheryl's barbecue we had concert plans, and thus had to leave the party before the food-eating began. So I have no idea if anyone else liked this salad! Personally, I thought that for a simple salad it was pretty good, but it needed a little more flavor.

This recipe isn't online.

32 recipes down, 1074 to go!

I am very happy to share that I am pregnant! With twins! Our twin girls are "due" June 25th, although twins are on average about 5 weeks early, and almost no one carries twins all the way to the end. So the doctors say that they could arrive any time in May or June (or sooner!). We are hoping that they stay in there for a long time, as many of the complications that are more common with twins are related to premature birth.

I am about 18 weeks now, and already quite big:


It's a little hard for me to imagine what that belly is going to look like 18 weeks from now! I never thought we would have twins, and I admit that I was nervous about it at first. But now I am extremely excited!

This has been a long road for us. We started trying to have a baby almost three years ago. With my tumor and everything, I expected that it wouldn't be easy. But there is no way I could have anticipated all of the problems that we encountered. Infertility is a horrible and painful thing. After years of dealing with testing, and fertility drugs, and rounds of IUI, and miscarriage, and surgery, I can honestly say that I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I have been surprised by the number of people, who when they hear I am having twins have asked, "Do twins run in your family, or did you do infertility treatments?" Even strangers ask me this, which I find a little shocking and a little uncomfortable. But I tell people the truth: yes, we had infertility treatments. We didn't do IVF but we did do 5 rounds of IUI with fertility drugs, and this pregnancy is the result of one of those assisted cycles. Yes, the babies are from my own eggs, and my husband's sperm, but no, it seems that I can not get pregnant the usual way, due to a variety of medical issues, all of which (except for the tumor) we were completely unaware of three years ago. I answer whatever questions people ask -- even strangers. And I'm writing about it here. Because infertility is lonely, and sad. And I found great comfort from those people who had been through it (or were going through it) and were willing to talk about it.

After everything that has happened, this pregnancy has been scary for me. I have spent a lot of time worrying about what could go wrong. But at 18 weeks, the babies look great and I am doing great. The doctor says my test results are so on target right now that I am "almost boring." It's a huge relief to be boring in this case.

I am optimistic that in a few months we will have healthy twins girls. And I am so very, very excited!!


8 comments:

ana rita said...

:) (I am really really happy about this!)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Of course no one should ever ask how you got pregnant, but it is nice to hear someone talk about it in a way that doesn't imply that people should feel bad about taking advantage of the medical options we are lucky to have.

kingshearte said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you!

Teena said...

Thanks!!

mish said...

Congrats Teena! Thank you, also, for the discussion of what was required to get to where you wanted to go.

Jem said...

And you thought you were busy before! Congratulations and best of luck!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Hey, I have twins too, they are 9 month old boys now. And I also conceived through assisted reproduction, the dreaded IVF (ICSI) in my case. I am so glad I didn't refuse the offer for two embryos, though. They might be a lot of work, but having twins is wonderful.

For me twin pregnancy wasn't that hard, (not that I could compare, it was my first pregnancy) and I hope you get the same luck! Just hang in there for a few more weeks :)

Teena said...

Thanks for the encouragement! I am very excited about having twins, but nervous about the possibility of them being premature! I am glad to hear your twin pregnancy went smoothly. I am hoping I can say the same!