Thursday, November 20, 2008

Poached Whole Turkey Breast (Page 386)

RECIPE #870

  • Date: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 -- 9pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B+

(Here I go skipping numbers again! It turns out there were two recipe #799s also. For someone who claims to be a professional mathematician, I sure don't count very well! I think I am all squared away now though. Hopefully, no more mistakes!)

The Poultry section of The Book is still the section I am going the slowest on, so this week I decided to pick up the pace by doing two recipes from that section. This is the first of the two (and also a component of the second recipe). Calling this a recipe is almost a stretch. The "recipe" is basically: Put turkey in water. Simmer until turkey is cooked through. Ok, it is a touch more complicated than that -- it also asks you to put onion, carrot, bay leaves, salt, pepper, and white vinegar in the water with the turkey. But that's about it. So how was it? Well it was exactly what you would expect from poached turkey. It was fine. I like turkey. Poaching doesn't do anything bad to it. If you are looking for turkey meat with which to make turkey salad, or sandwiches, this is a perfectly suitable way to prepare it. It's pretty bland this way to eat it on its own though. I used it in a marinated chilled turkey dish (which will be my next post) and it was perfectly suitable for that purpose. Would I serve this to company? Well, not just plain. But I might make it again if I need some cooked turkey as an ingredient for a more intricate dish.

This recipe isn't online.

The end is in sight! After nearly a year and a half of living apart from my special gentleman, we are approaching the end of the long-distance part of our long-distance relationship! Yay! The reprieve is only temporary -- next fall he will move to Michigan and I will still be in Indiana, but that is a huge improvement over him being in Boston and me being in Indiana. I can drive to Michigan, whereas Boston usually requires air travel (or lot of spare time with which to drive!). And for the next 9 months or so we will living together in Indiana! Yay for that! My special gentleman packed up his car this morning and has been driving between Boston and Indiana all day. He will still go back to Boston one more time this semester (and almost certainly a few times next semester) but bringing his car here seems like an official move to me! I am excited! We both really love our jobs (obviously, or it wouldn't be worth it to live apart), but being academics presents a challenge in that trying to find two permanent jobs together is going to be difficult. Eventually we will figure it out and settle together somewhere, but in the meantime I am preparing myself for the possibility of a few more years apart. That makes it all the more exciting that we are going to have the next 9 months in the same place. It is going to be great! We both love being in Bloomington, too, and always have the sense that we never have enough time together here. So this will be a great opportunity to do all the things we have wanted to do since I moved here and haven't had the time. Yay!

2 comments:

M and M said...

I'm thrilled for you, Teena. Check out the latest pictures of my darling on our blog! He's growing and charming us every day. We can't wait to see you over the holidays!

Teena said...

I have been following your blog and admiring the gorgeous pictures! I am so excited to see you all over the holidays!