Saturday, November 01, 2008

Mocha Fudge Sauce (Page 875)

RECIPE #855

  • Date: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 -- 9pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-


I picked this sauce because the recipe was extremely quick to make. The method was simple -- essentially all the ingredients just got added to a saucepan at various points. While I was making it I was a little skeptical -- the sauce went through several strange textural phases, some of which looked pretty nasty. In the end though it all came together to make a very smooth, very tasty sauce. I ate this over ice cream, but it would also make a nice accompaniment to cake, or any chocolate or coffee flavored dessert. The chocolate and coffee flavors here were nicely balanced, and the Kahlua gave it a touch of booziness, without being too much. It wasn't too sweet, which I think is appropriate for a mocha sauce. Overall, it was a good recipe, and a nice alternative to a typical hot fudge sauce.

This recipe isn't online.

Today I ran my first half-marathon! When I started training I thought it was going to be an impossible feat for me. It was very hard for me to imagine running for more than 2 hours. But I did it! And actually, I felt great! I have never in my life run in a real race before, and it was amazing how the race dynamic and the crowd really inspired me to keep going. In fact, I found it hard not to smile while I ran along -- it was just so exciting. I had two goals: one, not to walk at all, and two, to finish in 2 hours and 24 minutes or less (which is 11 minutes a mile). I didn't walk once and I finished in 2 hours 14 minutes and 35 seconds (10 minutes 16 seconds a mile) so I was very, very happy. My special gentleman ran the full marathon today as part of the same race event, and he did an AMAZING job. He finished in 3 hours and 6 minutes, which is about 7 minutes and 6 seconds a mile. Crazy! He easily qualified for the Boston marathon, which was a goal of his. In fact, of the thousands of people running today, he finished 43rd. It was extremely impressive! I can't even run one mile at that pace, so for him to run 26.2 just blows me away!

Overall it was a really positive experience! We had a great time and it is so wonderful that we both made the goals we set for ourselves during training! I am looking forward to running another half marathon in the spring, and maybe even a full marathon next fall! In the meantime though, I am also looking forward to not running for a few weeks, and giving my body some time to rest after so many months of training.

2 comments:

mike hill said...

Congrats! That's awesome that you did so well. And go Matt! Wow. Qualifying to the Boston Marathon is great.

Teena said...

Thanks! Yeah, we were both really happy!