Thursday, October 30, 2008

Toasted Rice Powder (Page 166)

RECIPE #854

  • Date: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 -- 9pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Recipe Rating: A-

I chose this recipe last week because it was super, super fast. This recipe had just one ingredient: rice. Typically, the recipes in The Book that only call for rice (and, usually, water) tend to receive some mockery from my friends (see, for instance, this). However, this recipe called for the rice to be prepared in a way that was completely new to me. I took the raw rice and put it in a dry skillet, carefully toasting it until it was a deep golden. I let the rice cool and then ground it in the blender. The result: toasted rice powder. You might ask, "What would one do with such a thing?" Well, this recipe is a component of a beef and noodle salad I haven't made yet, and the idea is to sprinkle the rice powder on top to give the salad some crunch and nuttiness. Indeed, this powder is crunchy. It's hard to imagine, actually, that powder could be this crunchy -- it's pretty cool actually. And the toasting did add a wonderful nuttiness to the rice. I liked this powder a lot -- enough that I ate some of it plain after failing to think of anything quick I could serve it on. I think salad is probably the way to go with this stuff -- if you are looking for a unique way to give your salad some textural contrast, give this rice powder a try!

Here is the recipe.

After six months of training, it is now T-minus two days on the half marathon! Today was my last day of training -- Yay!! I am feeling optimistic about my ability to finish the half marathon on Saturday. I ran 12 miles last week and felt pretty good, I am hoping I can pull off 13.1 miles with no problems. The one thing that has me a little concerned is the weather. It has gotten quite cold here. I ran five miles last night in 45 degree weather and I realized something: I don't like running in the cold. I trained mostly in the hot and humid Boston summer, and I learned how to deal quite well with the heat. But the cold is a new thing for me. It's unpleasant, and I haven't yet figured out the right amount of clothing to wear to be warm enough without being too hot (layers seem like the answer, but then what do you do with them when you take them off?). The weather forecast predicts it will be a chilly 46 degrees Saturday morning at 8am when I start running. Brrrr.... On the other hand, the real problem last night was that it kept getting colder as I ran. The sun was setting, and it was rapidly getting chillier and chillier, which was offsetting my body's ability to warm itself. At the half marathon it should be getting warmer and warmer as I am running, which sounds much more appealing!

In any event, I am looking forward to it. I am also looking forward to it being over -- after so many months of training, I am eagerly anticipating having a couple weeks with no running at all!

7 comments:

Adam said...

Good luck on the half-marathon, Teena! Cold-weather running is a challenge. You start out freezing, but as you get going, your body warms up, and you'll roast if you're wearing heavy clothing. Layers is the way to go. A lot of runners wear old clothes that they don't want any more as the outer layers, and they shed them as they go. I've heard of some races where they have volunteers who follow the runners, picking up the cast-offs to donate to charaties.

Liz C said...

I don't know if this would work over such a long distance, but I usually tie my jacket, long-sleeved shirts, etc. around my waist when I take them off. But I don't know what I'd do with a sleeveless vest.

Having all that stuff on might get really annoying over 13 miles, tho.

I always get really hot when I run, so much so that I try to avoid running when it's over 70 deg.

I can't wait to hear how it goes!

As for the rice powder, I wonder if you could cook it with water and make cream of rice cereal? I know you can do it with untoasted rice.

Rachel said...

Good luck!! I can't wait to hear how it goes...And good luck to Matt too!

Anonymous said...

I did a half marathon a few years ago - and your first commenters' suggestion is what was given to me - wear stuff that you can shed & not mourn the loss. Some people I knew actually went to thrift shops & bought a $2 sweatshirt.

Good luck.

Teena said...

In the end it wasn't so cold, so that was good! My friend Paul bought me some cheap gloves I could throw away, so I just wore those with my shorts and tank top, and I was fine!

FT42 said...

Hi Tenna,
Your in good company with
ground and toasted rice powder. Jasmine Rice is a good base to use for this.

You might like to try
Neil Perry's book "Balance and Harmony Asian Food"
2008, Page 104
Sichuan-Style Steamed Beef

He calls this a "show stopper"
(and easy)

Teena said...

Thanks for the recommendation!