Sunday, October 05, 2008

Summer Vegetable Succotash (Page 582)

RECIPE #841

  • Date: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B-


Last weekend before I made the grocery list, I asked my special gentleman, "What do you want to eat this week?" He replied, "Vegetables." I chose this recipe to accommodate that wish. I expected to like this recipe a lot. It contains only things that I love: potatoes, butter, oil, corn, squash, edamame (or lima beans) red onion, and chives. The Book says this is an atypical succotash recipe because it calls for edamame as an alternative to lima beans. The recipe still gives the option of using the more traditional lima beans however. I, for one, love lima beans, and they were easier to find, so I opted to use them instead. I also used yellow squash rather than baby pattypan because baby pattypan was nowhere to be found. The squash substitution worked out fine, but choosing lima beans over edamame may have been a mistake. I do love lima beans, but my main complaint with this recipe was that it was overwhelmingly starchy. Between the lima beans and the potatoes it tasted less like a fresh summer medley of vegetables and more like a bowl full of starch. The Book claims that using edamame rather than lima beans would have cut back on this starch overload, and that certainly would have been preferable. As it was, it was still fine. I enjoyed eating it, but I wouldn't argue that this is the best thing you can do with the aforementioned ingredients.

Here is the recipe.

My special gentleman left this morning to go back to Boston for three weeks, so yesterday we decided to do something fun! He let me pick the fun activity of the day, and I picked setting up our wedding registry! I am 28 years old, and my special gentleman is 29, and independently we have already acquired most of the things we need. As you might imagine, my kitchen is already pretty well-equipped (The registry lists in the wedding magazines all tell me things like, "You should buy one whisk for your new kitchen," and I think to myself, "If I already have 5 whisks, maybe I don't need to register for another one!"). We had planned to register at Crate and Barrel for all our kitchen/dining needs (and we did register there for many household items!) but it turned out they don't sell a lot of the kitchen equipment I need. In particular, I wanted to register for some of the items on my Gourmet Project Wishlist. Paella pan? Baba molds? Brioche molds? Not at Crate and Barrel. Most things, surprisingly, not even at Willams-Sonoma. But, then I had a thought: Sur la Table. I love that place, and they tend to have more obscure cooking equipment.

So yesterday my special gentleman and I headed up to Indianapolis, and went first to Crate and Barrel and then to Sur la Table. Scanner gun in hand we registered for all sorts of fun things! It was a blast! We had also intended to go by an REI, where we are registering for outdoor equipment (tent, sleeping bags, etc...), but it turns out there isn't a single REI store in the state of Indiana! So we did most of our REI registry online, and we will add the stuff we need to try on (e.g. backpacks and ski pants) when we go to Wisconsin before Christmas.

It was a fun day! It may have been a bit too much shopping for my special gentleman though -- before we left the mall he sat in one of those massage chairs at Brookstone for a half an hour! I was a little worried he was going to want to register for that chair too!

6 comments:

Jessica said...

I have an award for you on my blog! I've never eaten succotash and it looks interesting.

We are trying to figure out where to register at--Sur La Table is a GREAT idea. Right now I'm leaning towards Bed Bath and Beyond (they have a lot of strange stuff--I already got a Le Creuset five piece off of my registry there!) and Pottery Barn.

Anonymous said...

Registering is a horrible and antiquated custom. There is no reason for two adults who have lived independently for many years to solicit donations from their friends and family.

Ms. Anonymousse

mike hill said...

Ugh. Teena, why do you let anonymous trolls post anyway?

Teena said...

Jessica: Yeah, Sur la Table has great stuff and the people there were really helpful.

Anon: I totally disagree with you. Some of our friends will buy us gifts whether we register or not (that's just the kind of people that they are!) and registering lets them know what things would be most useful for us. I love it when my friends register. In fact, I wish everyone was registered all the time, and not just for weddings. That way it would be easy to get them gifts that they will truly enjoy and use!

Mike: I believe in free speech!

mish said...

Made this tonight with the edemame and the pattypan squash, and was really happy with how it turned out. My proportions were a bit off from recommended - TJ's sells edemame in 12oz bags, so 12oz went into it - but I didn't have any of the starchiness you'd described.

It's funny reading this entry now, since I read about the wedding a while ago. I agree with your comment, I wish people were registered all the time! I have no idea what to get people a lot of the time.

Teena said...

Mish: Thanks for letting me know that it wasn't so starchy with edamame. The recipe seemed to have so much potential but just didn't come out very well with the lima beans. I will have to try it again, this time with edamame!