Monday, October 20, 2008

Ashkenazic Haroseth (Page 902)

RECIPE #849

  • Date: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 -- 9pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Recipe Rating: B-
I chose this recipe because it was super quick. The directions: chop up some apples and some walnuts, stir them together with cinnamon, salt, and Concord grape Manischewitz, and let the mixture sit in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Then, spread on matzos and eat! I didn't dislike this fruit and nut mixture, but I also wasn't wowed by it. My fundamental complaint is that the flavor of the Manischewitz was completely overpowering. Maybe it is an acquired taste, but I have never really come around to Concord grape Manischewitz. It tastes to me like a cross between wine and grape cough syrup, and I just don't like it. So, although apples and walnuts are both delicious, I didn't find this apple-walnut mixture terribly appealing. I have had haroseth which I like much better than this, so I won't be making this recipe again.

This recipe isn't online.

If you had told me 8 months ago that I would be capable of running for two hours straight, I would have laughed. And then paused. And then laughed some more. But today was my last long run before the marathon, and I ran for 12 miles, which at my slow pace took a bit more than 2 hours! Even more shocking was the fact that it felt pretty ok. I won't lie: miles 9 and 10 were more than a little unpleasant, but the first 8 and the last 2 were just fine. I carefully plotted my run so that it would end at the Chocolate Mousse, a fantastic little ice cream shop that has delicious cherry sno cones -- the perfect post-run treat! The Chocolate Mousse is just a few blocks from my apartment so I planned to run the 12 miles, end at the Chocolate Mousse, and then walk the few blocks home, yummy sno cone in hand. Unfortunately I got a little distracted while I was running and I didn't turn around exactly when I should have. So my 12 miles ended when I was still more than a half a mile from my sno cone, and almost a mile from home. In theory it seems like it should be no big deal to walk one mile, having just run 12. But walking is incredibly painful after a long run. Running that extra leg would have been less painful, but I just couldn't rally to do it. By the time I got home my feet hurt tremendously. I was sitting on the sofa, eating macaroni and cheese and thinking, "Man, what I wouldn't give for a foot rub," when I suddenly realized: you can pay people to rub your feet! In particular you can pay people to put your feet in hot bubbly water while you sit in a chair that massages you. Then they rub your feet and your legs -- ah the wonders of the pedicure! Luckily there is a super-cheap and really nice pedicure place a half a block from my apartment. So I dragged myself over there, plopped down in a massage chair, and thoroughly enjoyed being pampered. It was awesome -- exactly what I needed after traveling two weekends in a row, coming home barely long enough to teach my classes during the week, working a lot on my research, and trying to fit in some seriously long runs. I sat in that massage chair, reading trashy bridal magazines, and didn't feel one bit guilty about the fact that I wasn't doing anything productive. I needed a little break!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Oh, the pedicure sounds so wonderful! It's been a while since I've pampered myself... maybe it's time!

Teena said...

I highly, highly recommend the pedicure!