Friday, October 10, 2008

Tomato Barbecue Sauce (Page 898)

RECIPE #844

  • Date: Wednesday, October 8, 2008 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Recipe Rating: A-


I picked this recipe because it was super fast and I am super busy lately. An active time of 15 minutes was about all I could handle this week. I had hoped to save this recipe for sometime when I was going to make some good barbecue chicken, or pork, to make the most of the sauce. Instead, I have been eating this sauce on my Chik Nuggets (fake soy chicken nuggets -- yum!). Actually I love Chik Nuggets, and this sauce was AMAZING on them. Yum. Yum, yum, yum. This sauce was extremely simple and very tasty. There was an optional dried ancho chile in the recipe, which I omitted and I didn't miss it. I cooked some onion with garlic and ginger, then added dark brown sugar, soy sauce, orange juice, cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, tomato paste, dry mustard, and pepper. Doesn't that sound like something nasty a kid would stir up by adding a little bit of everything in the fridge to a big bowl? Well it was delicious. I cooked the whole thing for a few minutes, strained it and it was done! The sauce was tangy, flavorful, and a little bit mysterious -- everything you would want from a barbecue sauce! If you are going to make homemade sauce next time you are craving barbecue, give this recipe a try!

This recipe isn't online.

I am trying to prepare myself for the next few weeks. It is going to be crazy. Tomorrow morning I am headed to Chicago where I am going to hang out with Brad and Deniz over the weekend, give a seminar at Northwestern on Monday, meet up with Vigleik on Tuesday (to do some work and meet his baby!), then head back to Bloomington Tuesday afternoon. Next weekend I am going to Kalamazoo, Michigan for the weekend to speak at a meeting of the American Mathematical Society. The following weekend I am headed to Huntsville, Alabama to speak at a different meeting of the American Mathematical Society. The weekend after that I will be in Indianapolis to run the half marathon I have been training for. The weekend after that my special gentleman is speaking at a conference at Notre Dame, so I will probably go there with him. That week I will be at the University of Illinois for a few days to give a seminar. The following weekend I am going to Boston to throw Rachel a baby shower with Emilee. And the weekend and after that I will stay home (at least that is the plan so far)! Somehow I thought this semester wasn't going to involve much travel. It didn't exactly turn out that way! The only question is: when am I going to have time to get anything done?!?

2 comments:

Outdoor Barbecue Recipes said...

Traditional basics of tomato, worcestershire and vinegar and some extra ingredients - sounds tasty. I too like the addition of soy because it provides a "natural" saltyness to enhance the flavour.

Teena said...

Yeah, I don't typically think of soy sauce as a barbecue sauce ingredient, but it was good!