- Date: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 -- 9pm
- Location: Bloomington, IN
- Kitchen: My Apartment
- Dining Companion: Matty
- Recipe Rating: B
I have been all about the really fast recipes these last few (crazy) weeks, so I picked this recipe because it was fast. It's also nice, when one is more than a little stressed out, to have a big container of homemade ice cream in the freezer! This rum currant ice cream was pretty good. This was a take on an old classic: rum raisin ice cream. I have never much liked rum raisin ice cream, but within that genre this is probably about as good as it gets. The texture was awesome -- very smooth and creamy. Mmmmm... The flavor was good, although it was too boozy for me (Yeah, yeah, boozy is a good thing, but I felt drunk just eating this stuff. It really had a lot of rum in it!).The ice cream base was just a simple custard base (yum!) with some rum and currants stirred in, so the end product was a tasty homemade ice cream, strongly flavored of rum and studded with currants. If you are a rum raisin ice cream lover, you are sure to love this. If you aren't, you might want to try a different ice cream from The Book.
Here is the recipe.
My apologies for the ridiculously long blog silence. Here is my list of excuses for why I haven't blogged since last Wednesday:
1. On Thursday my special gentleman flew in after being away for nearly three weeks. I picked him up at the airport after work, then we met up with Melanie and Daniel (who happened to be in Indianapolis for an FFA conference) for a drink. We got home late and I crashed into bed.
2. Friday I got up early to get some work done before my classes. I gave a midterm in one class, taught a review session in the other class, then rushed home, packed, and drove 7 hours by myself to Alabama for a conference (leaving my special gentleman, who had just arrived, at home alone). I arrived in Alabama late in the evening, just in time to sit in the hot tub with Mike for a few minutes before heading off to bed.
3. Saturday: An entire day of talks. Vigleik and I tried to squeeze in a little work, and in the remaining few minutes of free time I frantically tried to grade the 70 calculus exams I brought with me. I finished the day with another soak in the hot tub and then some grading in the hotel bar, with the "help" of Mike and V.
4. Sunday: A morning of talks, ending with my own talk. Immediately afterwards I hit the road for the 7 hour drive home (again, alone). I got home around 8pm, ate dinner, and graded until midnight, at which point I crashed so I could get up at 7am, finish grading, do my mid-semester course grades, and plan both my lectures before noon.
5. Today: Did all of the above, taught my classes, met with Mike (a different Mike), went to seminar, worked a couple more hours. Came home. Grocery shopped. More work. And now, blogging.
Those are my excuses. Basically, things have been crazy! But now I am home for the next few days, so hopefully things will settle down!