Monday, February 02, 2009

Carmelized Upside-Down Pear Tart (Page 782)

RECIPE #930

  • Date: Thursday, January 22, 2009 -- 7:30pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Tom M, Paul K, Beth, Lauren K, Jeremy, Ayelet, Michael L, Anne L, Daniel L, Kent, Sue, Allan, Ann E, Jim, Vladimir, Kitty, Muriel, Marc, Chris C, Prudence, Kate, Jonathan, Marlies, and John B
  • Recipe Rating: A-

I made this pear tart as part of the dessert spread for a party we had a couple weeks ago. Of all the desserts I made that evening, this was certainly the easiest. I started by making pastry dough for a tart crust and chilling it. Then I melted butter in a nonstick skillet and stirred in some sugar. I arranged halves of peeled Bosc pears in the skillet, then sprinkled cinnamon over the pears. I cooked it on the stovetop for about 25 minutes, until the sugar was a deep golden caramel. Then I rolled out my pastry crust, laid it on top of the pears and baked the whole thing in the oven. Before serving I carefully inverted the tart onto a large plate. This tart was delicious! It was a huge return for a minimal investment of effort! The caramel surrounding the pears was scrumptious. The fruit was perfectly cooked, and very flavorful. And the pastry crust complemented both the fruit and caramel sauce beautifully. Although the picture doesn't capture it well, this dessert was also very pretty. This was the first dessert to disappear at the party, and several people complemented that it was a stand-out. This modern take on the French classic Tarte Tatin definitely exceeded my expectations!

Here is the recipe.

This weekend my parents and my special gentleman's parents will be meeting for the first time! We thought it would be nice to have them meet sometime before the wedding weekend, so on Friday my parents will fly here and my special gentleman's parents will drive over from Ohio. I am looking forward to it! I anticipate that everyone will get along quite well. My special gentleman enjoys spending time with my parents and I enjoy spending time with his. I think that is a good sign for this weekend! We're going to eat some good food, go to the opera, see the sights of Bloomington, and just hang out -- it should be fun. And my mom, Karen, and I are going to go to my first wedding dress fitting, which will be very exciting (at least for me!)!

2 comments:

Emilee said...

I've made this exact thing many times using frozen puff pastry. So easy and yum! But I usually get carmel all over the kitchen floor doing the flip.

Teena said...

Em -- I think this version was even better than making it with frozen puff pastry. But yeah, spectacularly easy and delicious! I put this on a nice big plate to avoid the caramel all over the floor.