Sunday, February 01, 2009

Chocolate Truffles (Page 696)

RECIPE #929

  • Date: Thursday, January 22, 2009 -- 7:30pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Tom M, Paul K, Beth, Chuck, Lauren K, Jeremy, Ayelet, Michael L, Anne L, Daniel L, Kent, Sue, Allan, Ann E, Jim, Vladimir, Kitty, Muriel, Marc, Chris C, Prudence, Kate, Jonathan, Marlies, and John B
  • Recipe Rating: B+


I made these truffles as part of the dessert spread for a party we had a few weeks ago. I would have made these truffles earlier, except that The Book specifies both the brand and the percentage of the chocolate you are supposed to use to make them: Valrhona 56% cacao chocolate. The recipe also specifies that you need to use Valrhona brand cocoa powder. I did a small bit of looking and did not find these items around town. So I procrastinated making these for a while and then ordered the chocolate and cocoa online. As far as truffles go, these were very simple to make. I poured barely boiling heavy cream over some chopped chocolate and gently stirred until the chocolate had melted. I let it cool until thick then put the chcolate ganache in a pastry bag. I piped little mounds onto a parchment covered baking sheet and put the baking sheet in the freezer for 15 minutes. I melted a bit more chocolate in a makeshift double boiler. I put the special cocoa powder in a bowl and removed the truffles from the freezer. I then put a plasitc glove on one hand (the recipe said to use a glove!) and smeared it with the melted chocolate. One at a time, I rubbed each truffle in the smeared chocolate on the glove. After a truffle had been smeared I put it in the bowl of cocoa powder and tossed with a fork, then put it in a sieve to shake off the excess cocoa. I repeated until all the truffles were coated and then refrigerated them.

These truffles were quite good. The recipe only had 3 ingredients: chocolate, heavy cream, and cocoa powder. I can definitely understand why The Book specifies the excellent cocoa and chocolate. If I had made these with the Ghirardelli baking chocolate and Hershey's cocoa I have around the house they wouldn't have been NEARLY as delicious. So take the time to find/order the Valrhona. It was worth it. These truffles had an excellent flavor and the ganache had a wonderful creamy texture. My only complaint is that one of the things I love about truffles is the contrast between the crunch of the hard chocolate coating and the smoothness of the ganache filling. These truffles weren't dipped in chocolate in the end, so there was no such exterior layer. For that reason, I am unlikely to make these again. I strongly prefer the truffle recipe I usually use, which is here. I have made them both with and without the salt on top and I highly recommend them both ways. So while the truffles in The Book were indeed delicious I won't be adding them to my file of keepers.

Here is the recipe.

I have been quite out-of-sorts lately. I'm not sure exactly why. I have some stressful things coming up in the next couple weeks, and I suppose worrying about that is affecting my mood. I have tried my usual cheer-up tactics: long hot baths, trashy movies, naps, diet root beer... But they have had minimal success. Somehow until tonight I neglected to think of the one thing that always helps: exercise. I haven't been running lately because of the cold and the snow. (And also because a woman was recently raped in the middle of the day on the trail where I usually run. That really disturbed me, probably contributing to my bad mood of late.) Tonight though, I did some cardio and now I feel so much better than I have been. Amazing what a little exercise will do. I am certainly going to keep that in mind for the next couples weeks, and try to fit in some cardio every day. Hopefully that will help me get myself out of this funk.

3 comments:

Cami @ Creating Myself said...

I have the cookbook & love your blog theme. I'll checkback in often to see what you're cooking.

Liz C said...

Wow - I'm with you on the funk thing. I haven't been exercising either. I should make some time for it.

Teena said...

Cami: Thanks! I am glad you are enjoying it.

Liz: Yeah, it is amazing what a difference exercise makes for my mood!