Saturday, January 31, 2009

Linzertorte (Page 787)

RECIPE #928

  • Date: Thursday, January 22, 2009 -- 7:30pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Tom M, Chuck, Paul K, Beth, Lauren K, Jeremy, Ayelet, Michael L, Anne L, Daniel L, Kent, Sue, Allan, Ann E, Jim, Vladimir, Kitty, Muriel, Marc, Chris C, Prudence, Kate, Jonathan, Marlies, and John B
  • Recipe Rating: B+


I hadn't made this recipe yet because it didn't really sound that good to me. I was worried it was going to come out like the Raspberry Jam Tart with Almond Crumble which was disappointing at best. But the day of our dessert party a couple weeks ago I started worrying that we didn't have enough desserts for the number of people coming. So I threw together this tart at the last minute because it was quick. I first made the dough. I beat together butter and sugar, then added egg yolks and lemon zest. I then beat in flour, salt, and hazelnuts which I had toasted, skinned, and ground. I refrigerated this dough until firm, then pressed half of it into the bottom of a springform pan. I spread raspberry jam over this crust. Then I rolled out the remaining dough and cut it into strips, which I used to form a faux-lattice on top of the jam. That step was a pain, as the strips were very fragile and kept breaking. But eventually I got the lattice assembled and I crimped the edges with a fork. I baked it until browned and then cooled it completely. Before serving I dusted around the perimeter with powdered sugar. I liked this tart a lot. It was very simple -- tasting essentially like raspberry, hazelnuts, and butter. But those are three great flavors, and great together. The almost shortbread-like texture of the base was lovely, and it had a rich buttery flavor. The fruit from the jam cut the richness of the dessert nicely, providing necessary contrast. In some sense this was more like a huge cookie than a tart. The base definitely had a cookie-like quality to it, and the jam added to the effect. I don't think anyone else was as taken with this tart as I was. But the day after the party, when there were many choices of dessert leftovers in the fridge, this is the dessert I found myself going back to. It wasn't anything fancy, or unusual, but I liked it!

This recipe isn't online.

I went to the mall today, for the first time in a while, because I needed to do some errands. On the top of my errand list was to find a bra to wear under my wedding dress. I have my first dress fitting next weekend, and I am supposed to wear my wedding bra to said fitting (which makes a lot of sense). But I hadn't gotten around to finding one yet and I don't own one that will work under a dress cut like my wedding dress. So I went to Victoria's Secret this afternoon on a mission. I had been there about 5 minutes when, of course, I ran into one of my students. Not one of my current students -- that would have been pretty unlikely since rthis semester I have only 14 students and only 2 of them are women -- but rather one of my many undergraduates from a previous semester. I run into my students all the time. It is simply a reality of living in a relatively small town and often teaching relatively large undergraduate classes. Running into my students at the grocery store or at a restaurant doesn't bother me at all, but in Victoria's Secret? Awkward. To add to the moment, my student was apparently buying a whole armful of really skimpy lingerie. So there we are: me holding a half a dozen different bras on my way to the dressing room, and her on the way out of the dressing room, armed with lots of lacy things with hooks and straps. I am sure this particular student is at least 20 years old, but my undergraduate students seems so young and innocent to me when they are in my classroom. So I was shocked. Shocked and uncomfortable. But I continued on my mission nonetheless, and now I have acquired a bra that, hopefully, I can wear under my wedding dress!

No comments: