Sunday, January 25, 2009

Char Siu (Page 478)

RECIPE #922

  • Date: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 -- 11pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-


I made this recipe a couple weeks ago and threw it in the freezer to be used as a component for another recipe in The Book: Chow Fun with Barbecued Beef and Snow Peas. I made the Chow Fun tonight, and I will write that up soon, but for now I will post only about the pork. To prepare this, I started by cutting pork shoulder into strips and marinating the strips in a mixture of hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sake, honey, ginger, garlic, and salt. I marinated it for a day, then removed the pork pieces from the marinade and laid them on a rack set over a roasting pan partially filled with water. I boiled the marinade in a saucepan while the pork roasted for 15 minutes. Then began a long sequence of basting, and roasting, and flipping, and basting, etc... The pork got basted 5 or 6 times, which was a bit of a pain, but it was worth it. The meat came out tremendously flavorful. The marinade turned glaze had a great flavor to it, and that flavor permeated the meat wonderfully from the hours of marinating. This pork would be tasty in all sorts of dishes, and it was certainly delicious in the chow fun we ate tonight. Mmmm... barbecued pork!

This recipe isn't online.

We eat a lot of bread in our household. I crave carbs all the time, and I find bread totally irresistible. I pack my lunch every day and more often than not it consists of some kind of soup and some kind of bread. Yum! My special gentleman eats even more bread than I do. One of his staple foods is a slice of whole grain bread with peanut butter and honey on it. He consumes that item at least once per day. So we go through a lot of bread. I make homemade bread occasionally, but with my book project, those occasions have become fewer and farther between. So when Christmas rolled around this year, I bought my special gentleman a bread maker and a cookbook of whole grain breads. The gift wasn't meant so much for his use, but rather for me to use so that there would be fresh bread around the house for both of our consumption! I have to admit, I never used to take bread machines too seriously. I suppose it seemed like cheating or something. But this summer I spent a lot of time with my dear friend Rachel, who makes fresh whole grain breads at least once per week, in a bread machine. She and her husband love it, and I had some of the bread she made -- it was great! Now that we have had our bread maker for about a month, I have come to the conclusion that I LOVE that thing. It's amazing. You just dump in a bunch of ingredients and 4 or 5 hours later it beeps, telling you that it is done making your loaf of bread. It kneads, it bakes -- it does everything! My special gentleman and I have already made 6 or 7 different kinds of whole wheat bread, all with lovely results. Bread machines seem to be out of fashion these days -- many people I know admit they have one that they never use. But I am pretty sure there is no turning back for us. The loaves we have made have been both better and cheaper than the ones we used to buy at the store. And it takes at most 10 minutes of effort. Speaking of yummy bread machine bread, I might go grab a slice of the Norwegian Wheat I made last night...

No comments: