Sunday, January 11, 2009

Tomato Ginger Jam (Page 47)

RECIPE #910

  • Date: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 -- 8pm
  • Location: Westerville, OH
  • Kitchen: Karen and Dave's House
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Karen H, Dave, Brad, Deniz, Wes, and a bunch of other partygoers...
  • Recipe Rating: B+

I offered to make an appetizer for Karen and Dave's New Year's Eve Party, and of the choices from The Book I presented, Karen chose crab cakes. This jam was the topping for said crab cakes. I started by cooking shallots, ginger, garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes in butter, then added sugar and chopped plum tomatoes and simmered until thick. Once the jam cooled to room temperature, I stirred in some lime juice and cilantro. It was as easy as that. The jam had a good flavor to it, and was well-balanced. It wasn't super delicious to eat by the spoonful on its own, but the point of the recipe was to make a topping for the crab cakes and it served that purpose extremely well. This jam definitely added to the crab cakes in a positive way.

Here is the recipe.

After being sick for seven days, and spending most of the last five days laying bed, I finally did the unthinkable: I went to the doctor! I am not doctor-averse really, I just don't go unless I feel really, really bad. Today I reached that point. So I went to the doctor and it turns out I have pneumonia. Awesome.

So it looks like I will be spending a few more days in bed, except for the time it takes to teach my class. What a way to start the semester!

I always have this idea that if I was sick, and had to stay in bed, that I would get a lot done. There are lots of things I need to do that could be accomplished from bed. But somehow, when I actually am sick, I get nothing done. This week, for instance, I have been so exhausted that all I can do is lay there and watch movies. Or sometimes I just lay there and stare at the wall. It hasn't been a particularly productive time! Speaking of laying in bed and staring at the wall, I think I will get back to it.

3 comments:

Deniz said...

Oh no!! I hope you feel better soon!

Liz C said...

Hang in there. Staring at mindless stuff is what your body needs to do right now. Don't push yourself to get out of bed too fast!

Teena said...

Thanks! I am finally feeling better -- still not 100%, but so much better than I was feeling!