Friday, January 02, 2009

Gnocchetti all'Amatriciana (Page 238)

RECIPE #901

  • Date: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 -- 6:30pm
  • Location: Madison, WI
  • Kitchen: My Mom's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companions: Teri, Terry, Spencer, and Ellen
  • Recipe Rating: B+


I picked these gnocchetti to make with dinner for our family Christmas meal. I started by making a simple tomato sauce with pancetta and onion. I then boiled some Yukon Gold potatoes. Once they had cooled a bit my special gentleman and I peeled and riced them, then added flour and salt to form a dough. We kneaded the dough lightly, then divided it into 10 pieces. Using our hands we rolled each piece into a long rope, then cut it into small pieces. We formed these tiny pieces into little gnocchetti. This process took quite some time, and in the end we had easily 150 little gnocchi. We cooked these gnocchetti in a pot of boiling salted water, then served them topped with the pancetta sauce and some pecorino Romano cheese. This recipe was pretty good. The gnocchetti weren't quite as light as they could have been, but they were still tasty. One common problem with gnocchi recipes is that the gnocchi will disintegrate when they are boiled. I was a bit worried that this would happen here since the recipe didn't have any egg in it to bind (which is a bit atypical). They held together just fine though. The sauce for the gnocchi was ok -- not exceptional, but it tasted good enough. I love gnocchi, so although these weren't the best gnocchi I have ever made, I still enjoyed eating them.

Here is the recipe.

Happy New Year!!! We are still in Ohio, enjoying the holidays with my special gentleman's family. His parents hosted a New Year's Eve party, which was really fun. We ate, we drank, we danced -- it was a good time! I laughed so hard I cried more than once during the evening. It was also a good chance for me to do a little cooking from The Book. Typically New Year's Eve is not my favorite of holidays, but I had a lot of fun this year.

We went to bed late so no one was too chipper when we got up on New Year's Day to run a 5K. My special gentleman's brother Brad had signed me, Matty, himself, and Deniz up for this run. It didn't start until 11am, and I hadn't had too much to drink the night before, so I would have been totally on board for this except that it was a very chilly 20 degrees outside. Brrr... Plus, the first half of the run was directly into a strong and chilly wind. Not pleasant at all. The half-marathon I ran in November was the first race I had ever run in, so I had never run a 5K before. The nice thing was that it was a much shorter run than I am used to! The race went fine -- I was perfectly happy with my time. But I did learn an important lesson: Running outside in the winter is not for me!

2 comments:

Daniel said...

Aren't you supposed to use cured unsmoked pig jowl (guanciale) for all'amatriciana?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/16/dining/16ital.html

Teena said...

Well I suppose you are, but the book recipe calls for pancetta, so that's what I used!