Monday, January 26, 2009

Pineapple Habanero Salsa (Page 897)

RECIPE #923

  • Date: Sunday, January 18, 2009 -- 5pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B-
(imagine picture of pineapple salsa here)

I admit, I have a few times forgotten to take a picture of a recipe I made from The Book. So, there have been some picture-less posts now and again. If I had forgotten to take a picture of this salsa, I would happily admit it. But I didn't. I swear. I remember taking the picture. I remember when I took the picture. I even remember exactly which bowl I put the salsa in to take the picture. I remember having some salsa from said bowl right after photographing it. I remember what my special gentleman was doing while I was taking the picture. I would be willing to bet a large sum of money that these events happened. Yet, there is no picture of this dish on my camera. I have a perfectly reliable digital camera which has never spontaneously deleted anything. And the pictures of the dishes before and after this one are there. I can't imagine that I accidentally deleted it, and my special gentleman has no interest in my camera whatsoever, so he certainly didn't touch it. So maybe I am losing my mind. Maybe I never took a picture and all those memories of doing so are false... I have no idea. But there is no picture. It's ok -- it wasn't that cute anyway.

I did, however, make this salsa. I have proof that I wasn't imagining that too because my special gentleman remembers eating it! This recipe was very simple. I chopped a half of a pineapple and stirred it together with pineapple juice, lime juice, molasses, chopped scallions, minced habanero pepper, fresh thyme, salt, and allspice. The result was ok, but not fantastic. The salsa came out rather watery, and the molasses gave it a rather unappetizing brown color. The flavor was... well... odd. The pineapple -- lime -- scallion -- habanero combination worked for me. But the molasses -- thyme --allspice addition was a little weird. The combination reminded me of this truly bizarre alcoholic beverage Vero made for us once called Sunday Ham (or something like that). This salsa didn't taste bad, but I didn't love it either. It's not one that I would make again.

Here is the recipe.

2 comments:

vero said...

Here's the recipe for Sunday Ham, the cocktail.

First you need some Spiced Syrup
1 cup water
12 whole cloves
1 or 2 star anise (whole)
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups of sugar

Put together. Boil until thicken. Strain.

And now the cocktail.

18 ounces pineapple juice
12 ounces bourbon
6 ounces Spiced Syrup
And some garnishes...

I think the idea of taking a family food like a baked ham and to turn it into a boozy liquid is AWESOME. Although, this cocktail was just alright. Nothing fantastic.

Teena said...

Vero -- Ah, yes. I remember it vividly now! I am a little more skeptical than you about the idea of taking a comfort food and turning it into an alcoholic beverage! Are there any examples of that concept where the outcome is delicious?