Friday, January 23, 2009

Lemon Meringue Ice Cream (Page 857)

RECIPE #920

  • Date: Saturday, January 17, 2009 -- 4pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Mike M, Teresa, and Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B


I was in the mood to make some ice cream last weekend, and this is one of the few I had left in The Book. I started by making meringue. I whipped egg whites with a touch of salt and some suagr, then spread the stiff egg whites on a baking sheet. I baked the meringue in a 250 degree oven for an hour, then let it stand in the oven, with the oven off for another hour. When it was done, I broke it into pieces. Meanwhile, I made the custard by combining cream, milk, sugar, lemon zest, and salt, and bringing it just to a boil. I tempered this into some beaten egg yolks, then cooked the whole mixture to 170 degrees. I strained it then chilled until very cold. When it was sufficiently cold, I froze it in the ice cream maker, then stirred in the pieces of meringue. This ice cream was pretty good. The lemon flavor was extremely intense -- so much so that I can imagine some people not liking it for that reason. The meringue pieces were very crunchy the first day, but by the time we brought it to Mike and Teresa's house the following evening, they had lost a lot of their crunch. They still gave it some contrast, but if you want crunchy meringue, you best eat the ice cream the day it was made. One critique, which my special gentleman pointed out, was that the ice cream was so intensely lemon flavored that it somehow gave the impression of being low fat. It's hard to explain, but it felt like you were eating lemon sherbet rather than ice cream It was certainly creamy in texture, but it wasn't creamy in flavor, due to all the lemon. So, it was hard to appreciate the richness of it. This seemed like a bad thing -- if you are going to have all the fat that's in ice cream, you might as well be able to appreciate it. That said, it tasted good, and I enjoyed eating it.

Here is the recipe.

I have eaten so much sugar in the last 36 hours that I can hardly look at that ice cream picture... Often when a professor comes to visit our department from another university, someone will throw a little party in his or her honor. This week a professor from MIT was visiting. I had a course from him years ago, and my special gentleman worked closely with him when he was at MIT. He's a great guy, so my special gentleman and I offered to host a little shindig in his honor. Said gathering took place last nice. About 30 people (mathematicians and their families) came over, and my special gentleman and I made some desserts. OK, we made a LOT of desserts -- all from The Book. We made Coconut Cake with Raspberry Coulis, Chocolate Truffles, Chocolate Cinnamon Cigarettes, Burnt Orange Panna Cotta, Carmelized Pear Tart, Linzertorte, and Russian Tea Room Cheesecake, plus a few savory things. And of course because I have to grade them all, I had to have some of each! So I ate a lot of dessert last night! Most of the dessert got eaten at the party, but of course with that many desserts there was a bit leftover. So today I had Linzertorte for lunch, and a bit of cheesecake (and panna cotta...) after dinner! I am so saturated with sugar right now, but I am still considering a little slice of coconut cake before bed. Mmmm.... coconut!

No comments: