Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Croissant Dough (Page 621)

RECIPE #924

  • Date: Sunday, January 18, 2009 -- 5pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Karen H, Dave, Terry, and Teri
  • Recipe Rating: A


Strangely enough, The Book has the Croissant Dough recipe as a component of the Buttery Croissants recipe (which I will blog about next). So the only ingredient on the list for the Buttery Croissants is one recipe of Croissant Dough. That would almost make sense if the Croissant Dough was an ingredient also in another recipe, but it's not. So the reason they did this must be that they were worried that if they put the steps for making the dough and the steps for forming and baking the croissants in the same recipe people would be intimidated by how long the recipe was. That may be true, but it's pretty clear even from looking at either of the two recipes that there are going to be a lot of steps. In any event, this was the dough that I used to make the croissants which I will blog about next.

I haven't made croissants in quite a while, so I was eager to make this recipe. I love homemade croissants, and I enjoy the somewhat lengthy process of making them. To start I proofed some yeast with brown sugar in warm milk. Then I added flour and salt and kneaded for 7 minutes in my KitchenAid. I kneaded by hand for a couple minutes, then formed it into a rectangle and refrigerated for an hour. After an hour, I took 3 sticks of butter and using a rolling pin I pounded them together and flattened them into an 8 by 5 inch rectangle of butter. (I have to admit, pounding out the butter is my favorite part of making croissants -- it's a great way to vent any aggression you may have stored up!) I took the dough out of the fridge and rolled it out into a 16 by 10 inch rectangle, then I put my butter in the center of said rectangle and folded the bottom third of the dough up over the butter, then the top third down over the dough. Then I rolled out this butter and dough package to a 15 by 10 inch rectangle, being careful not to let the butter break through the dough. Then I folded it in thirds to form a 10 by 5 inch rectangle. I put it in the fridge for another hour. After it had chilled I rolled it out to a 15 by 10 inch rectangle again, and folded it in thirds again, and chilled for an hour again. Then I repeated the process of rolling, folding, and chilling 2 more times. Finally I refrigerated the dough overnight before forming and baking the croissants. You are probably thinking, "That's a lot of steps." Yes, it is. But remember that in the beginning I started with a layer of butter sandwiched between layers of dough. By carefully repeating this process of rolling out and folding up, I created thinner and thinner layers of butter sandwiched between dough. It is these many, many layers that create the wonderful flaky texture of croissants. So, yes, it is a bit of a pain, but it is totally worth it!

These croissants were awesome, but I will post more about that in my next post. For now I will just say that this dough must have been awesome because it produced awesome croissants. Making this croissant dough is a great rainy day project. If you have never made homemade croissants, I promise you won't be disappointed!

Here is the recipe.

3 comments:

Mark Celsor said...

Hi Teena, We made croissants in Cincinnati this weekend and shot a little video of it:

http://funkybrickbakery.com/2009/01/25/funky-brick-bakery-video-diary-3-croissants/

It was a lot of work but like you said totally worth it.

Sara said...

I love making croissants but haven't done it in a while.

It is a lot of steps but they are so amazing.

Teena said...

Yeah, homemade croissants are a lot of work, but totally worth it! Yum!!!