Thursday, November 09, 2006

Raspberry Jam Tart with Almond Crumble (Page 787)

  • Date: Wednesday, November 1, 2006 -- 9pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Ana, Craig, Jessie, Matty, and Glen
  • Recipe Rating: C+
I picked this dessert to go with dinner last Wednesday because it was one of the few desserts left that can be made within a couple hours. I knew as I picked the recipe that I wouldn't like it, and indeed I didn't. I find this sort of thing (a rich cookie crust, topped with jam and some crumble) not very appealing. The jam is inevitably too sweet and the crust too thick relative to the amount of jam. No one liked it very much. Several people commented that it tasted like a raspberry-flavored energy bar. The shortbread-like crust was ok, but it made the dessert seem more like a huge cookie than a tart. If you are looking for a nice fruit tart, this is not the right recipe for it.

I'm sick. I have tonsillitis (and strep throat (?) according to the doctor). I get tonsillitis every year. I should just have my tonsils out. Not to worry, I have never passed my tonsil infections on to anyone else, and now I have started antibiotics, so I should be safe to be around. I went to class this morning, but after 2 hours at MIT Medical this afternoon, I came home. I don't particularly like to take drugs (I know it's ridiculous -- of all people, I should appreciate the wonders of modern pharmaceuticals). Last year when I had tonsillitis (bundled that time with bronchitis) I never took my prescribed antibiotics -- they are in my underwear drawer still. But I am flying to Chicago on Saturday, and I am so determined to feel better before then, that I am actually taking the drugs the doctor prescribed!

During the very long wait at the med center, some MIT student came up and started yelling at the receptionist. He was actually yelling at her about how he just couldn't receive "adequate care" at MIT Medical. Now, MIT Medical has always been really great to me, but even if it's true that the doctor he saw didn't listen to his concerns (this was his claim), why the hell was he yelling at the receptionist? It is clearly not her fault. It really makes me angry when people are rude to totally undeserving strangers. Why do that? She handled it very gracefully. I was extremely impressed by her. The MIT student I was not so impressed by.

2 comments:

Mike Hill said...

I never understand why people are rude to receptionists, etc, whose sole job is to sit their and help you solve your problems. I've had my share of troubles with MIT Medical (remember the "I'm also allergic to beer" ass?), but I would NEVER yell AT someone trying to help me with the problem, and I have a quick temper! Wow.

Did you get his number? He sounds like a winner...

vero said...

Feel better sweety!