Sunday, November 12, 2006

Migas (Page 630)

  • Date: Saturday, November 4, 2006 -- 12pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B

Matt picked this recipe for brunch last Saturday... Luckily, he doesn't read my blog, because if he knew that I gave this one a B he wouldn't be too happy. He really liked it a lot. I agree that it was good, but it had one significant problem.: the tomatoes contributed too much liquid to the dish. Had the tomatoes in the recipe been seeded this might not have been a problem, but as it was the liquid from the tomatoes made the eggs watery and the tortillas that Matt crisped so beautifully became soggy. The dish also could have supported more bacon and jalapenos. The flavors were good though, and the cumin was a nice touch. Overall it was a tasty brunch dish, and with a few minor adjustments it could be excellent!

I'm watching Star Trek with Vigleik and I am so confused. Hmmm... Vigleik just tried to explain it to me. I'm still confused. Captain Picard looks confused too so I don't feel so bad.

So I have a question for everyone. I really want answers to this question, so please, please comment! Here it is: If you were me, and you were going to buy a new laptop, what would you buy? Now, if your answer involves running Linux, then you are clearly not trying hard enough to pretend that you are me. I've always owned PCs but now I am considering buying a Mac. Thoughts? I would love some opinions. Honestly, I have never picked out a computer before. In the past I just gave my credit card to someone I trust with these sorts of things and said, "Buy me a computer please." That worked pretty well, but now I am faced with picking out my own and I don't know what to get.

5 comments:

Chris said...

Buy a Mac! Just think about the speed your computer or my old Think Pad runs. Think about how often they crash. Think about how you switch back and forth when one refuses to open a web browser. Imagine having a computer that does what you tell it to do, instantly, rather than presuming you want to have time to make a sandwich while it opens your email. Imagine having a computer on which, for the rare occasion a browser hangs, you can force quit an application easily and immediately without messing up the other running programs. Imagine a computer that never ever ever crashes or hangs (not once in more than a year for me). I like the 15inch, but it's heavier than is ideal for day to day transport, so you might want to go with the 13inch. Have a good drive down to UIUC ...

Anonymous said...

I also vote mac, but perhaps it would be good to find out about the following: A little while ago it was announced that the mac processors were going to switch over to intel. At the time people were talking about this leading to greater compatibility with pcs (everyone's biggest mac complaint). I haven't really paid attention to what's happening here, but it would probably be worth investigating to see if you should wait a little bit.

--mg

Anonymous said...

Hang on, what's wrong with Linux? You use it every day in your office. The real advantage of using Linux is that technical CS people will be much more eager to help you with your problems.

If the laptop will sit mostly on your desk, I think you should get a chunky laptop from Dell or something.

Mike Hill said...

I say go with a Mac. My next computer will probably be a tiny Mac laptop like Jacob's. My whole family has switched over, and they find them really easy to use.

On the other hand, I'm also thinking about getting a [windows based] Tablet-PC. They have the fun "write-on-me" surface that really appeals to me. I have this fantasy of just handwriting my notes on it and having them stored away in some format that I can actually (a) find and (b) use later.

In either case, I'd definitely go with small and portable. Given how much the book ways and how often you have it in your bag, it's a minor miracle that you haven't already done horrible damage to your spine. A nice, light laptop would really help with that!

Teena said...

Ok, I was leaning towards a Mac and I think the strong support you all have shown has decided it. I will buy my first Mac! Yay! Thanks for the comments. They were helpful!