Sunday, November 26, 2006

Sherry-Walnut Oil Vinaigrette (Page 171)

  • Date: Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 6pm - THANKSGIVING!
  • Location: Southboro, MA
  • Kitchen: Richard and Anita's House
  • Fellow Chef: Chris
  • Dining Companions: Teri, Terry, Richard, Anita, Michael, Ephraim, Ana, Renato, and Richard H
  • Recipe Rating: C
I wanted to have a nice green salad at Thanksgiving dinner, and I picked this salad dressing to go on it because it sounded tasty. Instead, it really had no flavor. The dressing was so shockingly mild that although I adequately dressed the salad no one could taste the dressing enough to comment on it. Ana said, "Well it made the salad wet, and that was good." That was pretty much the only comment of any substance. Everyone unanimously gave it a C on the basis that indeed it coated the salad well, making it pretty and easier to eat, but it had no flavor. I have no real explanation for the flavorless dressing. Usually in dressing the ratio of oil to vinegar is 3 to 1 and here it was 4 to 1, so that probably accounted for some of its mildness (since most of the pungency in dressing comes from the vinegar). I sampled the dressing without the salad, and then I could at least taste the vinegar, but to put it on the salad in a large enough quantity to get flavor from it, I would have had to drown the poor lettuce.

A few of the many things I am thankful for this holiday weekend:
  • Pumpkin pie, macaroni and cheese, and an abundance of other wonderful foods in my life
  • Friends (new and old) who are generous and caring and wonderful
  • People to cook with
  • My health
  • The family I was born into and the other people who have become family (Emilee, Chris, etc...)
  • Good math days, and bad math days, and having a job I love
  • Gummy bacon
  • An apartment I love in a neighborhood I love with a roommate I look forward to seeing
  • Hot showers
  • The grinch sweatpants and the friend they belong to
  • The many, many things I have left to learn

No comments: