Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Curried Lentil Soup with Tomato and Spinach (Page 112)

  • Date: Friday, November 17, 2006 -- 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B
I made this soup for dinner on Friday because I wanted to make a batch of something that I could freeze and eat throughout the week. This recipe was pretty good. I have a hard time getting too enthusiastic about lentil soups because they all pale in comparison to the amazing lentil stew recipe that I have from Emilee and Brian! This one wasn't bad though -- the curry flavor was clear without being overpowering. The lentils were perfectly cooked and the spinach and tomatoes gave some nice textural contrast. It also froze extremely well, which is a lovely quality for soup. There was nothing particularly striking about this dish, but it was a solid recipe for a hearty winter soup.

I went to Whole Foods last night to finish up my Thanksgiving grocery shopping. It was crazy there! The whole parking lot was full, and the aisles were crowded with carts. When I arrived I was tired and hungry (after a trip to the gym with Mike) and not particularly in the mood to deal with the huge crowd. But after being there for 5 minutes, I was so happy! For one thing, the place was full of fun Thankgiving foods (prepared stuffing, various rolled and stuffed turkey breasts, piles and piles of pies, etc...). It was really fun to see what sorts of things people were buying. You could totally tell who was an experienced Thanksgiving shopper, and who was making their first big Thanksgiving meal. There were a lot of people wandering around with a look of wide-eyed terror. Then there were the people efficiently moving through their huge lists, checking off item after item. The woman in front of me at the check out looked terrified. She was about my age, and alone at the grocery store (most people were in pairs... it's an overwhelming task by yourself!). She stared intently at her groceries as they were being checked out -- I think trying to determine if she had forgotten anything. She looked only mildly startled when they totaled to $247.67. She looked so stressed out -- I wanted to give her a hug! Luckily, these big meals don't cause me any stress. I find cooking for family (and people who are practically family) to be wonderfully easy because they are such a forgiving crowd! I started my cooking last night, so now in my fridge there is stuffing ready to be baked off and filling for a chocolate cream pie!

No comments: