Saturday, November 18, 2006

Stir-Fried Pepper Beef (Page 443)

  • Date: Saturday, November 11, 2006 -- 7pm
  • Location: Chicago, IL
  • Kitchen: Vigleik and Shihchi's Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Vigleik, Shihchi, and Bridget
  • Dining Companion: Kari
  • Recipe Rating: A-
Vigleik , Shihchi, and I picked this dish for dinner last Saturday because I wanted to make something from the "Beef, Veal, Pork, and Lamb" section, and this recipe sounded good. Plus, V and Shihchi have a big wok (which is one piece of equipment I don't have) so I thought it would be good to take advantage of that while I was visiting them! This dish was quite tasty. The beef was perfectly cooked (thanks to Bridget, who did the stir-frying!). The flavors of the dish came through clearly without being overpowering. It was really tasty served over steamed rice. Bridget and I were a little skeptical about the fermented black beans in this dish, but they contributed a unique depth and flavor that went well with the garlic and ginger flavors. If I were to make this dish again, I would probably add more red pepper flakes for some more heat. The spiciness was almost undetectable. Overall though, this was an easy, tasty stir-fry dish that everyone enjoyed.

Today I began preparations for Thanksgiving dinner! Ok, really I only started grocery shopping, but that's something. I also finalized a menu. I am making dinner for 12 in the suburbs. It's going to be me, Chris, my parents, and Chris' whole family (his mom, his dad, his stepmom, his stepdad, his grandpa, etc...). I am looking forward to it. Dinner is at Richard and Anita's house, and their kitchen is an amazing place to cook! We are having mostly food from The Book -- except the turkey, for which none of The Book recipes would really work out given various constraints. I enjoy cooking these big family meals. Thanksgiving is particularly easy because the menu is practically preset by tradition, and everything on it is easy to make. Here's what we're having on Thursday: molasses-brined turkey with gingersnap gravy, sausage fennel stuffing with buttermilk cornbread, cranberry-cherry sauce, green salad with sherry-walnut oil vinaigrette, roasted carrots and parnips with herbs, buttermilk mashed potatoes with caramelized shallots, pecan pumpkin pie, and chocolate cream pie. Mmmm... I love Thanksgiving food!

No comments: