Friday, November 03, 2006

Baked Sliced Apples (Page 802)

  • Date: Monday, October 30, 2006 - 9pm
  • Location: Cambridge, MA
  • Kitchen: Alex's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Alex
  • Recipe Rating: A-
I am starting to run low on desserts that can be completed in a reasonable time frame... I chose this one on Monday night because it was pretty fast, and it required kinds of alcohol that I don't own (Alex has a huge selection of alcohol!). My main comment on this dessert is: Mmmmm, baked apples. Other comments: they were a touch too sweet and I had to take them out of the oven about 15 minutes early because they were falling apart. They were so yummy though. The boozy whipped cream is a must -- don't be tempted to leave it off! These baked apples were firmer than your usual baked apple (according to the recipe this is because they are sliced -- why that makes sense, I have no idea!). Alex didn't really like the firmness, but I actually did. Overall I thought this was a great, easy dessert. If you like this sort of thing (baked fruit with lots of alcohol in it) then I highly recommend this recipe!

It's Friday afternoon and people are slowly clearing out of the office. I am going to get out of here soon too and go for a run before dinner. I haven't run since Sunday, and I am starting to feel it!

I have been confused about something (math-related) for the last couple days, and today I made some sense of it, which is always a good feeling. It's funny, whenever I get discouraged about math, it always seems to me that no one else around me is ever discouraged. Of course, when I am able to step back (and have a smidgeon of perspective) I see that lots of people are discouraged a lot of the time. Math research goes in waves -- things will go really well for a length of time, and then really slowly for a while... Almost all the mathematicians I know love what they do, but have thought about quitting on multiple different occasions. It's just the nature of the game I guess...

No comments: