Monday, November 20, 2006

Baked Flounder Fillets in Lemon Soy Vinaigrette (Page 301)

  • Date: Sunday, November 12, 2006 -- 8pm
  • Location: Chicago, IL
  • Kitchen: Vigleik and Shihchi's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Shihchi
  • Dining Companion: Vigleik
  • Recipe Rating: B-
Vigleik, Shihchi and I picked this dish for dinner when I was visiting them because it was very quick. We were not particularly impressed though. We substituted cod for flounder (which was a recipe-suggested substitution and hence ok) because the seafood selection in Illinois is a bit limited! The dish was fine, but nothing spectacular. The vinaigrette was too oily and I didn't think the flavors complemented the fish that well. There was nothing terrible about the recipe, but it paled in comparison to some of the truly excellent fish recipes that I have tried from The Book so far.

You know how when you go shopping with friends there is always one friend who tells you that everything looks great and one friend that is brutally honest about what looks terrible?

I have some friends in my life who are unconditionally supportive. Independent of the circumstances they always tell me that I am making the right decisions. They trust me to find a good path for me. It's nice to have people in my life that have a lot of faith in me. That kind of support is very reassuring. I have other friends though who constantly question the things that I do. While I admit that it sometimes frustrates me, those friends are incredibly valuable. I think that having friends that really push you to explain yourself can be tremendously helpful. Today I was talking to one such friend. I don't think she was particularly trying to push me or question my judgement, but our conversation really got me thinking. I think it's harder to be that kind of friend -- the kind that is honest and pushes people. It's very difficult to do that without hurting people and I respect my friends tremendously who are able to play that role in my life.

No comments: