Thursday, November 16, 2006

Silken Tofu and Carrot with Soy Ginger Sauce (Page 279)

  • Date: Saturday, November 11, 2006 -- 7pm
  • Location: Chicago, IL
  • Kitchen: Vigleik and Shihchi's Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Vigleik and Shihchi
  • Dining Companions: Kari and Bridget
  • Recipe Rating: C+
I picked this one to go with our dinner on Saturday night. It wasn't a great choice though. I like tofu a lot, but I was not impressed by this preparation. The sauce had a good flavor, and the grated carrots were nice, but it didn't feel like a cohesive dish with the raw tofu. This dish would have been vastly improved by just browning the tofu in a pan for a few minutes. As it was it was bland, and mushy, and not terribly visually appealing. This was unanimously the least favorite dish of the meal.

Well I made it back to Boston, but my trip back here was more than a little traumatizing. I flew direct from Chicago to Boston. Thirty minutes in to the flight, the pilot announced that we would be encountering some turbulence and everyone needed to remain seated with their seatbelts fastened. It was odd though, because then there was no turbulence. Within a few minutes people started getting up again, and the flight attendant made an announcement: "Everyone really needs to stay in their seats with their seatbelts fastened. We will explain everything in a minute." And then there was 5 minutes of silence from the flight crew. The flight attendants rushed around a bit, not answering anyone's questions, and a whole plane-full of people started to get extremely nervous. Just as I was about to turn on my cell phone, and make a few phone calls in case something really bad was going to happen, the pilot made another announcement. The plane was experiencing some sort of mechanical problem and we were going back to Chicago. We flew back, circled Ohare for almost 20 minutes, and landed safely. The whole experience was probably one of the most unpleasant hours of my life. I don't know what I would have done without the guy across the aisle from me, who was really concerned about me and did an amazing job calming me down. They took us off the plane as soon as we landed. As soon as I stepped off the plane I started crying. Two hours later we took off for Boston on a different plane. I really didn't want to get on the second flight. I did it though. The guy across the aisle from me talked to me through the entire flight to keep me calm. Sometimes I am so touched by how kind strangers can be.

I am so happy to be home.

6 comments:

ana rita said...

I am happy that you are back too. I missed you at lunchtime. I've been getting candy at the headquarters alone, and even though it's candy and candy is always good, it's not as fun to go without you.

Anonymous said...

Was the guy cute? Did you get his number?

(When I saw there was one comment, I was expecting Mike to have left this comment.)

Mike Hill said...

Was the guy cute? Did you get his number?

I recognize that someone anonymous left this already. Damnation!

I'm glad you made it back safely. What a nightmare flight! I would have been totally freaked out by that and really unhappy too. Man, that must have really sucked! What a nice guy, though, to work so hard to calm you down.

Teena said...

The guy was pretty cute. He told me all about when he and his WIFE went to Italy on their honeymoon. :)

Anonymous said...

Nothing a bit of of persuasion can't take care of. Yes, that's what the kids are calling it nowadays.

Anonymous said...

The kids that stutter, that is.