Sunday, November 12, 2006

Dipping Sauce (Page 61)

  • Date: Saturday, November 11, 2006 -- 7pm
  • Location: Chicago, IL
  • Kitchen: Vigleik and Shihchi's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Shihchi
  • Dining Companions: Vigleik, Bridget, and Kari
  • Recipe Rating: B+
This recipe accompanied some dumplings that we made with dinner last night. It was fine. We were all a little stumped when trying to grade it. It wasn't amazing, but there was nothing wrong with it -- the soy sauce dominated the other flavors so much that it was almost indistinguishable from just soy sauce itself. That said, it served as a perfectly good dipping sauce for the dumplings.

Vigleik and I are watching Star Trek again, and this episode is confusing me too. It's a little worrisome because I used to watch this show with my dad when I was little, and I think it made sense then. Maybe I will blame my mental fatigue on my day of doing math with Vigleik. Yup, that will be my excuse. Vigleik did just admit that this episode is "slightly mysterious," so maybe it's not just me.

Tomorrow morning I am headed down to Urbana-Champaign. I haven't been there since I was 17 years old and was visiting potential colleges with my dad. It was 102 degrees outside the day we were there -- I don't think I will be having that problem this week! I have never been to the math department there though, so I am looking forward to visiting. Ok, I think maybe I need to devote my full attention to Star Trek if I have any hope of understanding -- things are starting to get very weird.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Depending on the type of dumpling, some people use vinegar or a blend of vinegar and soy sauce. Also, there are at least two types of soy sauce (not counting teriyaki), and only one is suitable for dumpling-dipping. Looks good from the photo though.

What were the other ingredients in the sauce? Chopped green onions? Any ginger?

Teena said...

I don't have the book in front of me right now (shocking, I know) but I think the other ingredients were green onions, rice wine, some sugar, and water. No ginger.