Friday, November 24, 2006

Citrus Chiffon Cake (Page 713)

  • Date: Friday, November 17, 2006 -- 10pm
  • Location: Cambridge, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Alex, Gunther, Mary Beth, Lindsay, Clotilde, Carol, etc..
  • Recipe Rating: B-
Alex and Gunther had a Harvard-Yale party last weekend and I made this cake to bring there. As cakes go, it was pretty average. It was cake, so I liked it, but I wouldn't make it again. The texture was very chewy. Chiffon cakes usually have a more tender crumb than this cake did -- this one had the texture of an angel food cake. I also didn't particuarly understand the serving suggestion of serving the sliced cake with the citrus syrup. Usually cake is served with a frosting or a glaze, but a soaking syrup is an odd accompaniment. It absorbed immediately in to the sliced cake, so most people simply thought that their cake was extremely moist (or wet?). A thicker glaze drizzled on would have been both visually more appealing, and more of an interesting contrast to the cake. All that said, the citrus flavor in both the cake and the syrup was quite nice, and for that reason I enjoyed eating it.

I hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving yesterday! I had such a nice holiday. It was fun to spend it with both my parents, and Chris' family (who have become like family to me in the past 4 years). Ana also came out to Southboro for the holiday, which was great fun! It was her first American Thanksgiving. We made a 22.5 pound turkey (which is huge!). The cooking went off without a hitch and we had a really beautiful, special meal. Their kitchen is very centrally located, so people wandered in and out all day, helping or watching, or doing the crossword while I cooked (you know who you are!). And I even took a few breaks from the kitchen to nap in front of one of the fireplaces. After we ate all 11 of us graded the recipes that were from The Book, and there was plenty of fun disagreement! Here's a picture of my plate (minus the 3 kinds of pies I tried after dinner!).

No comments: