Thursday, November 30, 2006

Chocolate Cream Pie (Page 772)

  • Date: Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 8pm - THANKSGIVING!
  • Location: Southboro, MA
  • Kitchen: Richard and Anita's House
  • Dining Companions: Ana, Renato, Chris, Terry, Teri, Michael, Ephraim, Richard H, Richard, and Anita
  • Recipe Rating: A-
I picked this pie to go with Thanksgiving dinner because there were some real chocolate lovers in attendance (mom, Ana, Richard, Anita, Chris...). This pie was quite good. The filling was intensely chocolatey and very creamy. It was quite thick, but it didn't have the nasty gelatinous quality that thick fillings in cream pies sometimes do. It also wasn't too sweet, which I appreciated. I loved the chocolate cookie crust. I couldn't find chocolate wafers, so I made it with chocolate graham crackers and that seemed to work just fine. Chris thought the crust had some textural problem, but no one else agreed with him! Overall this pie was a crowd pleaser. A couple people weren't so sure about it, but the majority of the crowd gave it an A or an A+!

I had a nice visit to Wesleyan yesterday. My talk went fine and everyone there was really friendly! After seminar we all drank beer for an hour and then some of us went out to dinner. It was fun!

Tonight I have been in a mood where all I feel like doing is throwing things away. For me this is unusual. My mother loves to throw things away -- Emilee too. But I am a keeper. I keep everything. Em used to mock me in college for keeping receipts, and dried rose petals, and wrappers from things with sentimental value. She thought I was crazy for keeping that kind of thing and I thought she was crazy for throwing it away. I am not as sentimental as I was then, but I do still keep a lot of stuff. Once in a while though, I just want to throw things away. Tonight I filled three garbage bags full of stuff to throw away, plus several bags of stuff to give to the Salvation Army (or Rosie's). It was very therapeutic. Plus, digging through old papers and stuff is always very entertaining. I spent a long time reading old journal entries, and other papers that I had saved from college. It was very pleasant.

No comments: