Friday, December 01, 2006

Lentils and Curried Rice with Fried Onions (Page 277)

  • Date: Monday, November 27, 2006 -- 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Chris
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B
This recipe came off the list I made using a random number generator. It was fine, but nothing spectacular. The rice came out really dry, and the curry had that curry powder flavor to it that I don't find too enticing. The onions were delicious, as you might expect deep-fried onions to be. Chris was skeptical when he was adding the parsley, and he was indeed right that the whole parsley leaves seemed very out of place and did not add to the dish. Finely chopped parsley would have been a plus, but as it was it was better if you ate around the parsley leaves. Overall it made a fine side dish. Matt approved of the leftovers as a good late-night snack. I wouldn't make this recipe again, but I will keep the deep-fried onion slices in mind for other uses.

I am out in Southboro for the evening, hanging out with Chris and his family. Well, ok really I am drinking a beer, doing laundry, and watching trashy television! I had a really good run this afternoon, followed by delicious Mexican food. And now I am eating skittles. Basically, I can't complain!

There is a quote from "The Prophet" that I think of often. It says, "Let there be spaces in your togetherness." I thought a lot today about what a huge gift a little space can be. I often try to hold people that I care about too close. Sometimes a little distance can really do wonders...

No comments: