Sunday, December 17, 2006

Creamy Slaw (Page 140)

  • Date: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 -- 9:30pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Ana and Matt
  • Dining Companions: Ronen, Matty, Jessie, and Glen
  • Recipe Rating: C+
I picked this recipe to go with dinner on Wednesday because we were making barbequed shrimp, and coleslaw seemed like the right thing to go with barbeque. This recipe wasn't so good though. The main problem was that the cabbage just never really wilted. We let it sit longer than indicated, but still no wilting. It's possible that we should have sliced the cabbage more thinly, but even the thinnest pieces didn't wilt much. The dressing tasted fine, but the dish ended up being more like a cabbage salad with mayonaise dressing than coleslaw.

Last night Jessie and I went on the Somerville Christmas lights tour. Tragically, I forgot my camera -- it was amazing! The tour took place on the trolley buses that you sometimes see in Boston. They toured through the best lights in Somerville. The tour did drive down Springfield street in my neighborhood (which is pretty spectacular this time of year), but the best house by far was on Glen street. It was really something! We had such a good time. There were cookies and hot cider at the beginning/end of the tour. Half of our trolley was full of parents with small children and the other half was this huge group of people in their 50's who were totally trashed. They were hysterical. At some point we were driving down some street where almost every house was decorated. When the tour driver commented about one of the undecorated houses one of the guys in back of the trolley shouted out, "They just don't love Jesus!" Sadly, the tour is over now for the year, but if you didn't make it this year I highly recommend it for next year. It was a good time!

2 comments:

Clotilde said...

I wanted to do the Christmas light tour so bad, but I was too busy yesterday... Any other recommendations that Glen st and Springfield st? Thanks!

Teena said...

I'm sorry you missed it! I wasn't really paying attention to the names of the streets on the tour, so I don't know where to direct you!