Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Chocolate Caramel Sauce (Page 874)

  • Date: Tuesday, December 5, 2006 -- 9:30pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Andrew
  • Dining Companions: Ana, Matt, and Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B-
I picked this sauce to go with the bread pudding on Tuesday because The Book recommended serving the caramel sauce with it, but I had already made that one. So I figured that chocolate caramel sauce was close enough. This sauce was fine. It tasted like chocolate sauce and chocolate sauce tastes good, but there was nothing special about it. In particular, the flavor of the chocolate completely drowned out the caramel. Caramel takes effort to make so it seemed silly to go through that when in the end it was undetectable. The sauce was also extremely thick, even when warm, so it felt a bit like you were just eating plain melted chocolate. The flavor was good (chocolate-y!) but I wouldn't make it again.

I was talking to my supervisor at the homeless shelter on Sunday and explaining that I was going to be away for a while, first in Wisconsin, then in California. Her response: "That's really great that you can take a month off work." I laughed pretty hard when she said that. I tried to explain that I wasn't taking any time off -- my work is just very mobile. I actually tend to get more done in California than I do here because there are many fewer distractions. It got me thinking though about how I very rarely take actual vacation -- the kind of vacation where I don't bring work. When Em and I went to Las Vegas this summer for 4 days I didn't do any work, but that's the longest real vacation I have taken in several years now. Maybe this summer I will try to take a week or two and have a real vacation! Hmmm... I'm not really sure where I can afford to go for a week! I suppose sometime this summer I will have to move -- that could involve a long drive. Road trips are one of my favorite kinds of vacations! Now that it is starting to get cold though I am fantasizing more about sitting on the beach sipping drinks with umbrellas in them.

Meanwhile, back to work...

No comments: