Thursday, December 07, 2006

Tapenade (Page 890)

  • Date: Tuesday, December 5, 2006 - 8:30pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matt
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Ana, and Andrew
  • Recipe Rating: C
I picked this recipe to go with our big dinner on Tuesday because the "Sauces and Salsas" section was again the one I was the most behind on. Ana summarized this dish best when she said, "This has more olives per square centimeter than olives do." It was deeply, intensely, olive-y! I like olives, really I do, but I found this hard to eat. It was just too pungent. The flavors of the capers and garlic were totally lost in the sea of olives. It was also visually very unappealing. The oil kept separating from the olive mixture, which resulted in a not-at-all-attractive spread. I usually like tapenade, but this one didn't do it for me.

Further exploration of my new computer led to the discovery that my computer can take crazy pictures. Here is a supposedly comic-book-style picture of me.

How is it possible that Christmas is in less than three weeks? Not only have I not started Christmas shopping, but I haven't even thought about Christmas shopping... I usually do a lot of Christmas baking, but I haven't started that either. Oh dear. I haven't spent Christmas with my family since my second year in graduate school, three years ago now... That was the Christmas I found out about my brain tumor. It wasn't really a happy time, and my family and I didn't get along so well that year. I ended up on an Amtrak from Chicago to Boston on New Year's eve, terrified and alone. I had my first MRI on January 2nd. The next year I didn't really feel well enough to travel over the holidays. Last year I had plans to go and then I just didn't. I have been home a couple times in the last few years, but never for Christmas. This year I am going home for the holidays. I found out yesterday that I have to increase my medication again. I think I am going to do it while I am at home. I hate doing these increases because they make me feel so shitty. But really I am lucky -- this is the first time I have had to increase in more than two years now. Wish me luck...

2 comments:

Mike said...

Oh, hon, I'm sorry that you have to increase your meds. That really sucks. I hope you don't feel sick this time!

Teena said...

Thanks! Yeah, I hope it goes well too... I don't really want to spend too many days lying in bed :( On the other hand, my parents do have cable TV:)