Monday, December 25, 2006

Cuban Roast Pork Loin (Page 468)

  • Date: Thursday, December 21, 2006 -- 7pm
  • Location: Madison, WI
  • Kitchen: My Mother's Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Mel, Teri, Terry, and Spencer
  • Recipe Rating: A
My mom picked this pork roast for dinner on Thursday. It was extremely good. The pork was perfectly cooked -- juicy, tender, and delicious. The sauce was wonderful, and definitely different from a typical sauce made of pan juices. The orange and lime juices weren't necessarily identifiable as such, but they contributed a lovely tang and depth to the sauce. This was an easy and delicious main course! Definitely a keeper.

Sometimes it occurs to me that I am very different from my parents. For instance: today. It's Christmas today and my parents really wanted to go out to dinner. Further, they wanted to eat at a bar. Now I like bar food as much as the next girl, but it's Christmas! Can any of you imagine me eating Christmas dinner in a restaurant?!? In the end, my parents' plan was foiled by the fact that nothing (and I mean nothing) was open. Not even the bars. So we ended up back at the apartment. My dad had hard-boiled eggs for dinner. My mother ate a Trader Joe's microwave burrito. I protested and at least cooked something, however minimal, for me and Spencer. We had brown rice with green beans and some soy chicken nuggets I found in the freezer. It actually wasn't bad. Everyone ended up eating some of my green bean and rice concoction, which made the evening seem a little bit more Christmas-y -- at least the four of us were eating together, even if it was in the living room while my mother watched the weather channel (why she loves the weather channel, I will never understand...).

Spencer and I are headed out for a run. Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Made the variant of this (page 477) with pork shoulder, but I think this one is superior. Certainly, it's healthier for being a leaner cut of meat. The sauce is definitely better.
For our family the real reason for pork roast has been to make cubanos after (Cuban sandwiches). One dinner of roast pork, another dinner of cubanos - it was time to put the remainder of pork in the freezer. My husband couldn't bear to throw away the leftover sauce, so he froze that as well :)

Teena said...

Yeah, I made the pork shoulder version just the other day, and I agree that this version, with the pork loin, was better!