Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Cuban Sandwiches (Page 192)

  • Date: Friday, December 22, 2006 -- 6pm
  • Location: Madison, WI
  • Kitchen: My Mother's Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Teri and Terry
  • Recipe Rating: B+

I made these sandwiches for dinner last Friday because they required the Cuban roast pork loin that we had for dinner on Thursday as one of the ingredients. I always love Cubanos, and these were no exception. This recipe is very traditional: bread with ham, roast pork, pickles, and cheese, pressed in a sandwich press (or if you don't have one, which I don't, pressed between 2 heavy skillets). It seemed a little silly that the recipe called specifically for the Cuban roast pork, when any sliced pork loin roast would have been fine. The strong flavors of the pickles, swiss cheese, and mustard certainly drowned out the subtle marinade on the pork. Nonetheless, these sandwiches were simple and tasty.

I have decided to head back to Boston on Saturday. I was supposed to be away for the next 3 and a half weeks (another week and a half here and two in California). But instead, I am just going to go back to Boston. Partly my decision was the effect of living in a very small apartment with my family for too long. More than that though, I'm just not able to get work done here. It's a mystery since there isn't really anything to do. But somehow, working is difficult. So I wouldn't get much done in the next week and a half, and then I would head to California, where I am sure I would be tempted to spend more time with my dear friends that I never see than I would working. Add that all together with the fact that my thesis defense got moved earlier by 4 weeks, and it seemed like the best plan was just to go back to Boston.

When I was trying to decide what to do I was talking to a friend on the phone and I said, "I just want to go home and get some work done." Finally, after 4 and a half years of living there, I now think of Boston as home. It took a long time. And now, of course, I am about to move away! Oh well... Being in Madison has made me realize how comfortable I am in my life in Boston. I have always been happy at MIT, but the last year or two I feel also strangely at peace. That's a nice thing.

Anyway, to all of you in California: I'm sorry!!! I was so looking forward to seeing you. And to all of you in Boston who aren't out of town: I will see you soon! I'm flying back on Saturday.


5 comments:

ana rita said...

mm, I hope matt isn't in boston then, or he'll get way ahead of me!
and chris, ohno, chris is going to get realy ahead too!
teena, you should really focus on your thesis and not do much cooking!
:P

Teena said...

You will be happy to know that neither Matt nor Chris will be in Boston! And no one else is even close to you, so there's no need to worry! :)

ana rita said...

oh. now I feel bad because you'll be more alone without them. I'm sorry.

Christopher said...

We'll miss you in Cali! =(

(But secretly I think it was a plot by ana and matt to keep me from gaining any ground ...)

Teena said...

With me not coming to California, either Ana or Matt is sure to catch you pretty soon...