Saturday, December 30, 2006

Braised Radishes with Raspberry Vinegar (Page 574)

  • Date: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 -- 6pm
  • Location: Madison, WI
  • Kitchen: My Mother's Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Terry, Teri, and Spencer
  • Recipe Rating: B-
I picked this recipe to go with dinner on Tuesday because I have been curious about it for a while and hadn't gotten around to making it yet. My mother was deeply skeptical, but she ended up liking it much better than anyone else. It was pretty good. Bitter vegetables are never my favorite, so I'm not a huge radish fan, but the braising did mellow out a lot of the bitterness. The raspberry vinegar glaze had an excellent flavor. It was tangy and sweet, which went well with the radishes. My dad really hated this recipe, but the rest of us thought it was fine. It was different than any radish preparation I have had, so it was fun to try it.

There are several things that I do not enjoy hearing from the pilot when I am on an airplane. Near the top of the list is when the pilot announces mid-flight, "Flight attendants, please be seated." That is never a good sign. I made it home today, but my flight was unbelievably turbulent. In fact, I have a gash to prove it. I had my hand near my face and we jolted so suddenly that I stabbed myself in the face with my thumbnail. It would have been funny if I wasn't both fearing for my life and trying to clean the blood off my face.

I am home now, and that's what is important! It feels good to be home. I love my family, but I don't think we are cut out to live together in such a small space. This past week my parents stayed in a hotel for a few days, and then it was just me and Spencer in the apartment, which was really fun! The best part of the trip was definitely spending an entire week with my brother. He lives in LA, and I hadn't seen him in about a year! Even when I do see him it is usually only for a day or two. It has been years since we have spent an entire week in the same place. It was great! We have a lot in common these days. He's teaching logic and philosophy classes at a community college, so we talked a lot about teaching, etc... He's also training to run another marathon, and I'm "training" to do my pull-up, so we worked out a lot and had a good time! I think he's coming out for my graduation so hopefully some of you who haven't met him will get a chance to. He is crazy smart and lots of fun!

No comments: