Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Pan-Seared Ancho Skirt Steak (Page 429)

  • Date: Monday, November 27, 2006 -- 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Chris
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-
Chris and I made this steak last week because the "Beef, Veal, Pork, and Lamb" section was the one I was the most behind on. Strangely, I couldn't find ancho chiles (dried poblanos) so I substituted chipotles (dried, smoked, jalapenos) which worked out just fine. This steak was very tasty. The meat came out perfectly cooked and flavorful, and the sauce was spicy and delicious! The recipe was quick, easy, and very satisfying. It would make a perfect summer dinner!

Last night the Wednesday dinner crew came over (although notably it was Tuesday). We made 7 recipes which pushed me over the 300 mark in the project! I am hoping to hit 324 by the end of the year (then I would be one-fourth done with my project!), and I think I am well on my way to achieving that goal.

Every hundred recipes or so I like to thank a few people important to the project. First off, let me thank those people who have cooked and/or eaten more than 40 recipes for the project: Chris, Ana, Alex, Vigleik, Mike, Emilee, Brian, Matt, and Marco! You guys are amazing -- I really wouldn't be as far along as I am without you! Thanks also to the Wednesday dinner crew, who have made cooking possible (and fun!) in this busy semester: Ana, Matt, Craig, Peter, Glen, and Marco --thanks!

To Chris, Emilee, Brian, Vigleik, Shihchi, Richard, Anita, mom, and dad: thank you for making your kitchens available to me when I travel! It's wonderful to feel welcome in kitchens around the country! Finally, thank you to everyone who has spent time in the kitchen with me, patiently tried new foods, and/or welcomed the project in to your special occasions! More than 300 down, less than 1000 to go! Thanks for all your help!

2 comments:

Mike said...

Aww. I have had a great time taking part in your project too! You know, you should turn this `blog into a book when all is said and done. There was a book published recently about a woman who worked through a Julia Child French cooking book in her apartment (thereby proving the claim that every recipe could be done at home!). You're doing something similar and on a grander scale!

Did you try Christina's Spices for Ancho? At the very least, they may have had it in ice cream form.

Teena said...

I know of the book you mentioned, "Julie and Julia," but embarassingly I haven't read it. I keep meaning to buy it, but it hasn't happened yet!

I would have gone to Christina's but there hours are so restrictive! I wish the spice shop would keep the same hours as the ice cream store...