Monday, December 25, 2006

Whipped Chipotle Sweet Potatoes (Page 583)

  • Date: Thursday, December 21, 2006 -- 7pm
  • Location: Madison, WI
  • Kitchen: My Mother's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Teri
  • Dining Companions: Terry and Mel
  • Recipe Rating: C+
I chose these sweet potatoes to go with dinner on Thursday because I thought the smoky chile flavor would complement the tortilla soup and Cuban roast pork nicely. I was not impressed with this recipe though. It tasted fine -- The chipotle flavor wasn't particularly bad with the sweet potatoes, but it also wasn't particularly good. My mom thought the potatoes were pretty spicy, while Mel and my dad said they could barely taste the chipotle. In my opinion, if you were going to add peppers, this was the right amount, but I am not sure why you would want to do that. My main complaint though was a textural one. We whipped these potatoes for a long, long time, but they would not become completely smooth. With a little bit of cream added, or some more butter, it would have been possible to get a nice whipped potato. But as it was, the potatoes had very small chunks, which just made the dish unpleasant to eat. Overall, not a recipe that I would recommend.

Merry Christmas! It is Christmas morning, and we are all tiptoeing around the apartment, trying not to wake my brother who is still asleep on an air mattress in the family room. I'm not sure how I got a bed and he ended up on the air mattress this year. It may be because I arrived first and quickly settled in to the second bedroom. Either that or the fact that I am in the midst of my medication increases secured me a room of my own!

We are back in Madison after a couple days in Fond du Lac and Oshkosh having Christmas celebrations with the extended family. Yesterday, for Christmas Eve, my mom's family took over a bar in Oshkosh at 11am and played Sheepshead for several hours. After being down most of the day I won a big hand in the end and approximately broke even. Then we went to visit with my dad's side of the family. Both of my dad's parents are dead and while I sometimes see my dad's two brothers, I hadn't seen my cousins on that side in about 8 years. They are significantly older than me -- some of them have children in high school! It was fun seeing them, hearing what they have been up to, and meeting second cousins that weren't even born the last time I saw my dad's family. We drove back to Madison last night, ate cereal for our Christmas Eve dinner (no one thought to buy food before we left town a couple days ago, and now all the grocery stores are closed!), and watched a movie.

No comments: