Friday, December 29, 2006

Risotto Milanese (Page 257)

  • Date: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 -- 6pm
  • Location: Madison, WI
  • Kitchen: My Mother's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Teri
  • Dining Companions: Terry and Spencer
  • Recipe Rating: A-
I picked this recipe to go with dinner on Tuesday because I love risotto, and this was the only risotto recipe in The Book that I hadn't made yet. It was delicious. This recipe is for a very classical risotto, flavored with saffron (hence the color). It wasn't as good as the red wine risotto or the porcini risotto from The Book, which were both completely divine, but it was really good. My mother wasn't sure it was worth all the stirring (risotto does take quite a lot of stirring) but I think it definitely was! Spencer commented that it would have been better with homemade chicken stock, which certainly it would have, but it had a good flavor even with just store-bought chicken broth.

I had lunch with one of my first boyfriends yesterday. Ross and I dated 10 years ago now, which is a terrifying thought. I can't believe I have been dating for more than a decade! Oh dear. Anyway, we had lunch yesterday with his current girlfriend and his brother. It was pretty entertaining. Jordan and Kat (the brother and girlfriend respectively) drank a huge pitcher of margaritas, so they were a little trashed. The four of us together ate quite a lot of fake Wisconsin Mexican food. Ross is a sweetheart. He plays upright bass professionally and is contemplating physics graduate school. It always makes me laugh to spend time with him. We were so young when we dated -- I have really funny memories. He was really in to being romantic, so on every month anniversary we would drive out to Governor's Island and have a picnic. It was almost invariably a disaster. One month I fell through the ice in to the lake. A couple months later we had a mini-mudslide which left us covered in mud from head to toe. We always had fun though. He's a really good guy. I got mono that year and was sick for 4 weeks. Ross spent his entire spring break sitting on the sofa with me, covering me in blankets and trying to teach me to play video games. I was pretty miserable, but we still had a good time!

No comments: