Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Grasshopper Pie (Page 772)

  • Date: Saturday, December 23, 2006 -- 5pm
  • Location: Fond Du Lac, WI
  • Kitchen: My Mother's Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Teri, Terry, Spencer, Marie, Anne, Joe, Sue K, Katie, Ellie, etc...
  • Recipe Rating: C+

My mother being a devoted ice cream lover, she is also a die-hard fan of the ice cream drink. Grasshoppers being her favorite, she was intruiged by the idea of a grasshopper pie, so she chose this one for me to make for our family Christmas dinner. This pie was a little bit gross. I was skeptical when I read the recipe: whipped cream fillings stabilized with gelatin are never my favorite. I have not met a gelatinous filling that I like yet. The flavor of the filling was delicious (and extremely boozy!) -- the creme de menthe and creme de cacao reminded me of tasting my mother's grasshopper drinks when I was little. But the texture once it set was gelatinous and gross. The filling was far, far superior before it set. The crust was good -- cookie crumb crusts are never bad. This pie will not be repeated though.

I made dinner last night from The Book. It was the first time I have made a project meal for my whole family -- it has been a long time since the four of us have all been in the same place at the same time. The meal was monumental in another respect as well. After cooking yesterday, I am now officially done with more than one-fourth of the recipes in The Book! I am so excited. My goal was to pass the one-fourth marker by the end of the year, which I did. Since I started this project on January 4th, 2006, this puts me well on my way to finishing in 4 years!

I have also finished my medication increase! Yesterday I felt terrible. I have been doing my increase in phases over the past week, but yesterday was the worst I have felt yet. Stubbornly, I cooked anyway. I almost regretted this decision when I started to feel like I was either going to pass out or puke in the aisles of Whole Foods. I ended up being ok though, and leaving the store without incident! Today, I feel totally fine, which I think means that my body has adjusted to the higher dose, and I am not going to feel terrible any more! In honor of that victory, Spencer and I had a good long workout this morning.


2 comments:

Christopher said...

Tonight I made a recipe from the book I don't think you've made yet: Okra with Tomatos and Ginger, p551. It was pretty good, you should try it. Mmmm ... okra ...

Teena said...

Yeah I definitely have not made any okra yet. I should try it!