Monday, December 11, 2006

Toasted Bread-and-Butter Pudding (Page 829)

  • Date: Tuesday, December 5, 2006 - 9:30pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Andrew, Matty, Matt, and Ana
  • Recipe Rating: C-
I picked this one for dessert on Tuesday because the "Puddings, Custards, Mousses, and Souffles" section is always falling behind the other dessert sections. This bread pudding was quite bad. I love bread pudding, but I didn't want to eat this. So many things were unappealing about it. For one, the custard separated out during baking. Some of it absorbed in to the bread and set nicely in the oven, while some of it just pooled as liquid in the bottom of the dish. It was easy to avoid the pooled liquid, but it made the dish seem very unappetizing. My main complaint though was that it had no flavor. It is so easy to make bread pudding taste delicious -- it is a wonderful medium for a wide range of flavors. This one was just terribly bland. Even drenched in sauce (we had chocolate caramel sauce, but the book recommended caramel sauce which might have been better) it was shockingly bland. As bread puddings go, this was not a winner.

Apparently the other day one of my aunts showed one of my cousins some pictures of my cakes. My cousin Brian's response: "I don't understand why Teena isn't married. She's old enough and she makes such good cake." When my mom relayed this to me, I laughed and laughed and laughed. Clearly, since I was once engaged, at some point I really felt ready to be married. But now, years later, I'm just not in a hurry. In the academic community it is so standard for people to get married rather late that I often forget that many, many people my age are already married. I always find it shocking when people comment on the fact that I am not married. Yesterday at the homeless shelter one of the guests demanded to know why I wasn't wearing a wedding ring. I told her I wasn't married. Her response, "Next week bring in that guy that is sometimes with you and I will tell him to marry you." I told her I didn't think that was a particularly good idea, but she was adamant. As I walked out the door she yelled from behind me, "You better not show up here alone next week!"

5 comments:

Mike said...

How many guys do you normally go there with? I think I will be in town this coming weekend, if you want to not be alone at Rosie's!

Teena said...

When Matt came with me one of the guests told him that I have hundreds of boyfriends, so apparently I go there with hundreds of guys! Who knew?!? I would love it if you want to come with me on Sunday, although I should warn you that someone might try to convince you to marry me!

Vero said...

I like how that woman thinks!

Mike said...

It's all talk. We were engaged once (not that she tells people). On what should have been the happiest day of my life, September 30th, 2002, she just flaked! I'm not sure I could handle another heartache like that, Teena...

Teena said...

Ummm... hello?!? I showed up for our supposed wedding, it was you who didn't even come to MIT (where our wedding was supposed to take place) that day. And then you went and gave my engagement ring to Tim!!! So don't start with me about crushing your dreams...