Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Orange-Poppy Seed Cake (Page 706)

  • Date: Thursday, December 21, 2006 -- 8:00pm
  • Location: Madison, WI
  • Kitchen: My Mother's Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Mel, Teri, Spencer, and Terry
  • Recipe Rating: B
My mom requested something with poppy seeds for dessert on Thursday, and this was the only poppy seed dessert in The Book, so I made it! It was ok. My dad and Mel were a bit disappointed by the lack of frosting or sugar-y glaze on it. That didn't bother me so much, although I do love frosting! This cake was extremely thoroughly soaked with orange syrup, which made it nice and moist. However, I didn't think that the orange syrup tasted so good. The combination of orange juice with orange liqueur came out strangely flavored, and that flavor permeated the whole cake. That was my only big complaint. The texture of the cake was lovely, and the raspberry and creme fraiche accompaniment was perfect. With a different soaking syrup, this would be a winner!

I am really sending away my laptop today -- I think I have already said that twice, but I am having some trouble parting with it. I scheduled the DHL pick-up though, so today it is really leaving. Hopefully I will still post, if Spencer is generous enough to lend his laptop to the cause!

When I was ten years old I got salmonella on Christmas Day. It was by far the sickest I have ever been, and I was totally traumatized. I don't know what I got it from -- stuffing probably. That is usually the Thanksgiving/Christmas culprit. The odd thing was that my mother told me I was sick because I ate too much. She knew I had salmonella (and she didn't make the food that made me sick), so I'm not sure why she said that, but nonetheless I became convinced that eating too much had terrible, terrible consequences. I didn't eat anything but one scoop of mashed potatoes at Christmas dinner for the following 7 years after that. Now I am a little more flexible. At the very least, realizing that I had salmonella shifted my focus from avoiding food to avoiding stuffing. Although I eat pretty much anything, I very rarely eat stuffing that I didn't make myself for just this reason... I am always a little relieved when Christmas passes and I haven't been poisoned.

No comments: