Friday, December 22, 2006

Sweet Potato Latkes (Page 584)

  • Date: Sunday, December 17, 2006 -- 9:30pm
  • Location: Cambridge, MA
  • Kitchen: Ronen's Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Ronen and Matt
  • Recipe Rating: A-
Ronen invited me over on Sunday to make latkes for Hanukkah. We made both regular potato latkes and these sweet potato ones. This recipe was quite good. The latkes were perfectly crispy on the outside, and nice and moist on the inside. The sweet potato flavor was really nice, and the green onions were subtle, but complemented the potatoes well. Overall this recipe was quite good, and a very interesting alternative to ordinary potato latkes.

Melanie came over last night and we made a big dinner. My mother was deeply skeptical of various aspects of this meal -- when we started deep-frying she had to leave the room we were making her so nervous! Mel and I had fun though and for the most part the food was quite good! Even my mother admitted that the deep-fried tortilla strips made the tortilla soup delicious. Plus, at that point we had proven that we can deep-fry without burning the apartment down! Mel and I have been friends forever, and we cooked together as kids, but since she lives in Ohio and I live in Boston I hadn't seen her since I started my project. So it was really fun to cook with her from The Book last night!

Our Christmas celebration with my extended family on my mom's side is tomorrow because a bunch of them are flying to Las Vegas on Christmas Eve. Such holidays take place at my aunt and uncle's house in Fond du Lac, WI. Today I am making some pies to bring with us there tomorrow. Speaking of, I should probably get to it...

No comments: