Thursday, December 28, 2006

Apple Pie (Page 760)

  • Date: Saturday, December 23, 2006 -- 5pm
  • Location: Fond Du Lac, WI
  • Kitchen: My Mother's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Teri
  • Dining Companions: Anne, Ellie, Spencer, Grandpa, Joe, Sue K, Brian, Katie, Terry, etc...
  • Recipe Rating: B+
My mom wanted apple pie to go with our family Christmas dinner, so we made this one. It was pretty good. It came out really beautiful. The crust was flaky and delicious, and browned beautifully. The filling was also good, although it was a little too soft for my taste. I prefer it when you can tell that there are really chunks of apple in the filling. In this pie the filling became very soft and homogenous. It tasted good, but texturally I thought it could have been better. It was a solid apple pie but it wasn't as good as my mother's usual recipe.

I officially retract every mean and nasty thing I said (and the even meaner and nastier things I thought but didn't say) about Apple Computers and my brand-new broken laptop. Why this moment of generosity? Because I got my laptop back today! I sent it Tuesday afternoon, and it came back, repaired, at 9:30 this (Thursday) morning. That's less than 48 hours! I am very impressed. Plus, they repaired my computer instead of giving me a different one, so nothing was lost -- all my software, music, and other stuff is still here! And it was, of course, totally free. Basically, I am delighted.

In other impressive news today, at dinner tonight my father started a sentence with, "Well if by some miracle you get a job at Stanford..." Ah, there's nothing like the support of family to warm your heart!

No comments: