Saturday, December 23, 2006

Potato Latkes (Page 567)

  • Date: Sunday, December 17, 2006 -- 9:30pm
  • Location: Cambridge, MA
  • Kitchen: Ronen's Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Ronen and Matt
  • Recipe Rating: A-
Ronen, Matt, and I made latkes on Sunday night for Hannukah. They were quite good. These traditional potato latkes came out crispy, golden and delicious. Between the 3 of us we ate enough latkes (these and the sweet potato ones) to supposedly serve more than 12 people! They were that good. I suppose that is one criticism: the recipe did not serve as many people as it claimed it would! This was a solid recipe though, and the latkes sprinkled with salt and served with sour cream and applesauce were delicious!

We made some extra latkes on Sunday and I was frying them up after we had finished eating. Eventually Ronen took over for me, and with the last batch he decided to make one big torus-shaped latke (see picture). I pointed out that there was no way he was going to be able to flip that thing! He acknowledged that it would be difficult, but we made a little wager about it, giving him odds that reflected the challenge of the endeavor. Meanwhile, Matt stayed as far away from this as possible, pointing out that the oil in the pan was likely to fly everywhere when Ronen flipped it. The second picture is Ronen preparing to flip. In the end, about half the latke ended up back in the pan and half ended up all over the floor. I laughed so hard I cried. The resulting latke was not homotopy equivalent to the one he started with, which determined that he lost the bet!

Well I have got to run. We are heading up to my aunt and uncle's house for our family Christmas celebration!

No comments: