Monday, January 01, 2007

Oven-Braised Beef with Tomato Sauce and Garlic (Page 421)

  • Date: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 -- 6pm
  • Location: Madison, WI
  • Kitchen: My Mother's Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Terry, Teri, and Spencer
  • Recipe Rating: B
I picked this braised beef to make for dinner last Tuesday because I was sick from my medication increase so I figured as long as I was stuck at home all day I might as well make something that has to cook for a really long time. It was pretty good. The beef came out very nicely cooked -- wonderfully tender and falling apart as braised meat should be. The sauce wasn't terribly exciting though, which wasn't surprising since the only ingredients were tomato and garlic. It wasn't bad, but it just tasted like tomatoes. One curious thing: the recipe suggested that you could just lift the beef out of the braising liquid, slice it, and pour the liquid over. In reality though there was so much fat floating on top of the braising liquid that it really had to be defatted. That should have been indicated in the recipe.

Happy New Year! I had a really fun day yesterday, which was a nice way to end 2006. Paul was in town for the weekend to spend New Year's with some friends, so we met up for brunch yesterday at the East Coast Grill. It was delicious but we ate way too much! Then we headed out to Walden pond and went for a nice walk around the lake. I hadn't been there in years and years. It was really nice out there and the weather was beautiful. Here's a picture of Paul on our walk.

Mike and Tim were having a party last night at Tim's place in the North End, so I started my evening there. While there I ate the first hamburger that I have had in the last 14 years. Crazy huh? It was good. I phased out of my vegetarianism more than 5 years ago now, but for some reason, I hadn't had a hamburger yet! Then I went to a party at Alex's, where his friend John used a chef's knife to pop off the champagne cork at midnight. It was pretty cool -- it made a surprisingly clean cut through the glass. I have heard of this being done with a sword, but it wasn't clear to me that it was going to work so well with a chef's knife. It put a little gash in the knife, but I think it was worth it for the drama!

Happy New Year!!!

3 comments:

Mike Hill said...

Well, I certainly enjoyed your company at our little party!

Paul said...

I made this recipe a while back and had almost the exact same reaction. Good, but a little too tomatoey.

It was great seeing you this weekend. I do wish we had had the time to do some cooking from The Book... but oh well, at least we had ourselves some sweettart rope!

Teena said...

I had fun seeing you too. We will have to cook sometime soon!