Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Dried Cherry and Raisin Rice Pudding (Page 827)

  • Date: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 -- 6:30pm
  • Location: Madison, WI
  • Kitchen: My Mother's Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Terry, Teri, and Spencer
  • Recipe Rating: B
I picked this recipe to go with dinner last Tuesday because my dad really loves rice pudding. It occurred to me later that it wasn't really the best choice since rice pudding and risotto in the same meal is pretty ridiculous, but I didn't think of that until after I made the rice pudding of course! My apologies that there is no picture. I actually took several, but in an impressive display of my skills utilizing technology, I accidentally deleted all of them off my digital camera before uploading them to my computer. Anyway, this rice pudding was ok. My parents both loved it, but my brother and I agreed that the cardamom flavor was unpleasantly overwhelming. Also, the addition of the dried fruit was odd. If the fruit had been cooked in the pudding a bit, allowing it to soften and the flavors to meld, it could have been good. But as it was, with the dried fruit just stirred in at the end, I thought the fruit detracted from the dish. The texture of the pudding was excellent though, and it was very easy to make. Overall it was a satisfying dessert, but if I made it again I would use half the cardamom, or maybe none at all!

Ok, time for a few New Year's resolutions:

  • Do a pull-up. Note: I am still trying and failing to do this, but I am making progress! I have other fitness goals too, but this is the main one.
  • Clean my apartment more often. Spending a week and half living with my mother for the holidays made me feel horribly messy. I am going to try harder in the new year.
  • Finish typing my dissertation. By the middle of March. Oy.
  • Answer my phone when people call me. I always say this, but I'm just not a phone person. I will try harder though.
  • Be less mathematically shy.
  • Make good decisions.
  • Eat more fruits and vegetables.
  • Complete another 325 recipes from The Book.
I think that's enough! On that note, I should get back to working on my thesis, so as to have some chance of accomplishing goal number 3!

No comments: