Monday, January 15, 2007

Huevos Rancheros (Page 637)

  • Date: Saturday, January 13, 2007 -- 11am
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matt's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B
Matt picked this recipe for breakfast on Saturday. These huevos rancheros were pretty good. The ranchero sauce was excellent -- it had a good heat to it and a wonderful flavor from the roasted chiles, tomatoes, and onions. The only thing I didn't love about the dish was the preparation of the tortillas. They were fried in oil to soften them, but they ended just soaking up a bunch of oil. I didn't find that appealing. I would have preferred the tortillas either not fried at all (or fried extremely lightly) or fried until they were crispy. Other than that though, this was a nice, filling breakfast dish. And the leftover ranchero sauce was excellent on tortilla chips the next day!

I picked this recipe to make when I was staying with Chris about a year ago. I can't remember why we didn't end up making it (maybe he didn't have the right equipment?) but for about a week I kept saying I was going to make it. I even wrote a little huevos rancheros song, the only lyrics of which are "huevos... rancheros... huevos... rancheros..." I sang it a lot last Janaury (despite the few words, it was very catchy -- it has a dance that goes with it too, but that's another story). On Saturday when Matt and I were making this dish, I started singing my huevos rancheros song again. Matt gave me a deeply skeptical look.

Despite having zero musical talent, as long as I can remember I have written stupid songs. When I was growing up I wrote this song about the mailman that I really liked (that one had more than 2 words). I even wrote a whole musical when was 11 or 12. When I was young most of my songs were set to familiar tunes and I would just change the lyrics. As I grew older I started making up my own tunes too. Chris, probably more than anyone else in my life, has witnessed many, many of my little ditties. A couple years ago I wrote a whole series of tunes (jokingly) about how Chris was mean to me. He never really appreciated those, but I sing them still!

2 comments:

Chris said...

I've always loved your songs! And I certainly remember the huevos rancheros number ...

Teena said...

You don't love ALL my songs. As I recall, my version of the Barney song was never a favorite of yours...