Saturday, January 06, 2007

Toasted Walnut, Roasted Red Pepper, and Cumin Spread (Page 12)

  • Date: Wednesday, January 3, 2007 -- 8:30pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Mike and Vero
  • Dining Companions: Ronen, Marco, and Tim
  • Recipe Rating: A-
Mike picked this one to make with dinner on Wednesday because I asked him to pick something from the Hors D'Oeuvres and First Courses section of The Book. The first recipe Mike chose had beer in it, which is the one thing he is allergic to. This was his second choice. Opinions were mixed, but I thought it was very good. Mike complained that it was both spicy and bland, but I thought it had a lovely garlicky flavor, balanced by the roasted red peppers and walnuts. In addition to having a nice flavor and a beautiful texture, it was a very pretty color. I would happily serve this spread again.

I got a wedding invitation in the mail the other day. My first love is getting married to the woman he left me for. All of this happened many, many years ago, and the three of us are friendly now (hence the wedding invitation), but it was still odd to find that in my mailbox. In a strange way, I think it would have made me feel better at the time to know that he was ultimately going to marry Natalie. It makes it hard to feel too bad about Elliot picking her over me. Apparently he was really serious about her! He and I would certainly never have gotten married. That would have been a disaster!

In college I had this reoccurring dream about attending Elliot's wedding. In the dream it was not Natalie he was marrying, but someone else (long story...). And I was there, sitting in one of the pews, in a blue dress. Perhaps I should wear blue to the wedding... It's not until October, so I have a while to decide.

No comments: